Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Siem Reap and some days at a beach in September (yes, I know..)

• tavso9

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2013

Hi guys,

I've not been here for a while, since I wasn't able to travel and looking on travel pages would just have made me sad. Now I forgot my passwort and my username, so I had to register again. Anyways, I think it was tavso or something before, just in case anyone cares ;-)

You guys helped me an aweful lot when I planned my trip to Thailand and Laos some years ago, so I'd like to try this again and hope I can count on you :-)

My partner and I are planning a two week trip roughly 15-30th of september. I now it is extremely unfortunate weatherwise, but we do not have any other choice. Since we love SEA and don't want to go anywhere else in the world, we are trying to figure out what tri would be best.

I've been to Cambodia nearly 10 years ago and I remember it was in July. It was actually great, because it was green and not so touristy and though it rained on two days, that wasn't sooo bad either.

Obviously, things have changed in the last 10 years, but my partner has never seen amazing Angor and I know it will change his life to see it! So we would like to go to Siem Reap for a week.
    But the second week, I would really like to go to a beach that has snorkeling (ideally) and white sand and clear water (must).
    We are flying in and out of Bangkok, since this is by far the very cheapest option, so I'd say a beach week in Thailand or Cambodia would both be an option.

I guess my first question now is: is there anywhere not too far from Bangkok or not too far from Siem Reap that can offer these beach holiday and that can be reached by train/bus/ship?

Also, has anyone ever been to Siem Reap in September? I am, of course, worried about the weather. As I indicated above, 1-2 days of rain is not so bad, but it if rains non-stop and we can only stay in the hotel, that's of course not great.
    Same for the beach part. I know Ko Phangan, Samui and Tao are the best options during summer, but they are quite far away from Bangkok, so I wonder whether any of the closer beaches (doesn't have to be an island) are good bets, too?

Looking very much forward to hearing your ideas!

#1 Posted: 24/8/2013 - 11:32

• Advertisement

• tavso9

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2013

I forgot to add, of course beaches in Cambodia would be nice too (if not even nicer), e.g. near Ko Kong or Sihanouk Ville

#2 Posted: 24/8/2013 - 12:41

• tavso9

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2013

one more thing: we wouldn't mind taking an overnight train to the beach area, but we would like to avoid having to get a boat afterwards since this will be just too much hassle in total

#3 Posted: 24/8/2013 - 13:40

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

From Siem Reap, the Cambodian islands off Sihanoukville are a good way away - bus to Sihanoukville and then a boat. The closest islands in terms of boat time are Koh Ta Kiev (45 mins), Koh Thmei (1 hr) and Koh Rong Samloem (less than 2 hours). The problem is you're going to have to cross the country first!

And yes, it will be the middle of rainy season and there will be lots of rain. Think that doesn't matter for Siem Reap, as there will be plenty of breaks in the rain too, but it could be a little miserable on an island. Bring the playing cards and a couple of big books!

#4 Posted: 30/8/2013 - 04:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Siem Reap-Battamburg-Phnomh Penh-Kep-Siem Reap Possible in 9 or 10 days?? ... By sharoonie on 12 Dec 2011 6 3960 13 Dec 2011
September 2010 HCM -> Siem Reap ... By kimberleyr17 on 1 Jun 2010 4 2162 19 Jul 2010
going to Siem Reap this September with my baby... need help! ... By prettytrisha07 on 15 Jun 2008 5 2481 28 Jul 2008
How many days for Siem reap? ... By amz155 on 18 Oct 2006 10 33073 24 Oct 2006
6 days in siem reap ... By xhai on 4 Jun 2009 5 3410 11 Jun 2009
14 days - Laos and Siem Reap ... By thegrailer on 5 May 2008 13 3122 24 May 2008
Siem reap and Thailand in a few days ... By valerinaaa on 20 Mar 2012 1 887 10 May 2012
HCMC to Siem Reap in 7 days ... By Camcam on 24 Aug 2010 4 1848 25 Aug 2010
Pai to Siem Reap in 7 Days -- Go Through Laos or...? ... By pbzvariety on 12 Feb 2013 2 1386 14 Feb 2013
HCMC - Siem Reap in 1,5 days ... By rubenaybar on 13 Nov 2010 1 2433 13 Nov 2010