Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Western Union scam

Posted by SalParadise on 16/9/2013 at 04:20

Hi there,
it's my first time in Cambodia. I'm going to go to Koh Rong Samloem Island in Dec this year, over the Christmas period. I've booked one of the Bungalow there and they've asked me to transfer a deposit of $80USD via Western Union transfer. This doesn't feel entirely comfortable, am i being paranoid? the idea of having to use western union to transfer cash feels odd. Please advice?
cheers
Sal

#1 SalParadise has been a member since 2/9/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/9/2013 at 04:56 admin

Western Union isn't uncommon in Cambodia - when I was living there I was paid that way for a while, but I've not heard of guesthouses using it in this way -- generally they use PayPal or credit cards.

The main issue with WesternUnion (aside from the high fees) is thereis little to no recourse if you want a refund - once they have the money, they have the money.

Which place is it on the island? Do they list it on the site as being the main payment method?

From the guesthouse's POV I can see them wanting to lock you in, as those islands will be pretty busy over the silly season, but its a shame they're not using credit cards or something.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by SalParadise on 16/9/2013 at 05:09

Somtam2000: it's for the Saracen Bay Resort. The website doesn't list any payment method. I figured because of the busy period and due to the remoteness the guesthouse won't have such sophisticated method of payment, hence the need to use Western Union possibly...

#3 SalParadise has been a member since 2/9/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by AbigailatPenhandInk on 19/9/2013 at 01:35 TF writer

That resort only has a few bungalows, so I guess they want to be sure of your commitment. As Christmas will be a busy time, people tend to book ahead and don't show up and hope - if you don't turn up they're less likely to be able to sell the bungalow space again.

The island doesn't have much internet, so PayPal and other methods might be difficult. I suggest you email back and express your concern and see if they can reassure you.

By the way, great choice - it's beautiful!

#4 AbigailatPenhandInk has been a member since 9/11/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 179
 Website 

Posted by SalParadise on 19/9/2013 at 04:56

Hi AbidailatPenhandlnk - thanks for the tip. I've already spoken to them a few times now and it all looks reassuring. take care.

#5 SalParadise has been a member since 2/9/2013. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.