Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Plan to Prasat Preah Vihear and Preah Khan

• cpkcon

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2007

Hi there,

is there any one been to prasat preah vihear and/or Preah Khan from siam reap? i am planning to visit there in late aug/ early sept, what kind of transportation shall i take?

How bad the road condition could be in rain season? how many days do i need to get to there?

Hoping that i can get ur help! thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 1/8/2007 - 03:04

• Advertisement

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hope it will help:

http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-preahvihear-pg.htm

"Preah Vihear temple
    Long a contentious matter between Thailand and Cambodia as to who owns it, the temple is now firmly in the hands of Cambodia. I attended the grand opening on January 15th, 2003 and the chronicle can be read here. The temple is easily accessed from Thailand, not so easily from Cambodia. It's not too bad from Anlong Veng, but making your way up from Tbeng Menachey is a disaster. The road up to the top of the temple is a thrill if you have a big bike and know what you;re doing. If not, walk, take a moto, or hitch a ride. Admission fees apply - from Thailand it's 200 baht to the Thais and 200 again to the Cambodians. From the Cambodia side there is a $5 fee if someone bothers to ask you for it. Though accessible from Thailand this is not an international border crossing and you cannot enter/leave Cambodian and Thailand here."

#2 Posted: 1/8/2007 - 08:30

• cpkcon

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2007

Thanks for the info and sorry for my late reply.

The site gives me a general outline however none of us could ride a motobike or driving a car. Anyway if I can get to there, I will post a follow up on the road condition for other's reference~

thanks again,

cons, 07.

#3 Posted: 2/8/2007 - 21:21

• jma351

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2009

Is there any news about the condition with the Border?

Has anybody traveled to Preah Vihar from Siem Reap this year?

thanks
    J

#4 Posted: 5/2/2010 - 09:17

• gilrand

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2009

Hello,

I just visited Preah Vihear temple yesterday. Not from Siem Reap , but did a 4 day mototour from Kompong Thom including Sambor Prei Kuk, Preah Khan, Koh Ker, Preah Vihear and Beng Mealea.

As for the border condition, the border has been closed for 2 years and there is heavy military presence on both sides of the border as Thailand has claimed ownership for the temple. Basiclly the whole mountain which Preah Vihear temple is on is fortified and full of soldiers with RPGs and AKs. The last clash there was, according to my guide and the news, in the end of January which left one thai soldier dead.

My guide was confident it was safe to go there and we even toured some of the Cambodian positions along the border there. Quite exciting. But if you do intend to go there make sure you get the latest information and a good guide who knows his business there.

As for tours from Siem Reap I can't say anything.

//Gilrand

#5 Posted: 14/2/2010 - 18:49

• wrightstate

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2009

Hi Gilrand and others

I'm intersted in doing a similar tour as you this June, so I know the weather will be different! My plan is: Kompong Thom - Tbeng Meanchey - Preah Vihear - Ko Ker (or the other way round) and if weather permits, from Tbeng Meanchey to Stung Treng via Chaeb. I did Sambor Prei Kuk last year and plan to do Beng Mealea and Preah Khan another time. I have a few questions I wondered if you could answer:

Did you use the same guy for the whole trip from Kompong Thom?

What did he charge per day and would you recommend him?

Also if anyone else has any tips for this route, I would be very grateful!

Thanks for looking

Jon

#6 Posted: 16/2/2010 - 01:41

• gilrand

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2009

Hey Jon,

Yeah, I did the whole trip with same driver. I hooked up with a really nice guy from Kompong Thom called Mr Sinan, who hangs around on other side of the street from Arunas Hotel and propably will find you if you go to Kompong Thom unless he is on a trip.

He came to me and asked if I was interested in doing such a trip (my original plan was just to visit Sambor Prei Kuk and continue to Siem Reap next day). He asked for about 30 dollars for a day not including temple admissions, food or accomodation which came at about 50 dollars for four days including ALOT of palmwine and good company.

I really don't know how this price sounds to people but I felt it well worth it (the whole trip was around 900 kilometers) and would also recommend the guy.

//Gilrand

#7 Posted: 17/2/2010 - 06:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Lodging for the visits to Preah Khan of Kampong Svay and Preah Vihear? ... By cloud on 9 Sep 2011 4 2984 16 May 2012
Prasat Preah Vihear ... By Taniab on 28 Sep 2014 2 204 29 Sep 2014
Prasat Preah Vihear ... By IndygoIndy on 4 Oct 2009 4 3803 28 Jan 2010
Preah Vihear in July ... By fivesilver on 29 Mar 2009 8 3205 23 Jan 2010
Recent Preah Vihear experiences? ... By Lother on 24 Apr 2010 9 2949 16 Sep 2010
Preah Khan in Kampong Svay ... By oipank on 14 May 2006 0 2819 23 Jan 2010
Beng Mealea, Preah Khan and Koh Ker ... By KirstyB on 19 Jan 2010 0 2619 23 Jan 2010
Ongoing feud regarding Preah Vihear temple ... By wegotoeleven on 14 Feb 2011 1 2690 14 Feb 2011
Which one is most breathtaking Preah Vihear, Koh Ker or Banteay Chmar? ... By squae on 22 Oct 2009 0 3296 25 Jan 2010
Shating a Taxi -Siem Reap to Preah Vihear, Koh Ker etc. ... By jaizan on 28 Nov 2013 0 836 28 Nov 2013