Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

which way round

• craigcraig

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2013

Hi, i am flying in to Bangkok, then to travel into Cambodia through to south Vietnan back up the east coast of Cambodia,( clock wise direction) i have 5 weeks flying back from Bangkok, can you give me an idea of the best route, i would like to vist places in thailand but its not my main aim, would prefer to get off the beaten track if possible, i am a photographer & this is my first time in Asia.

Thanks Craig

#1 Posted: 9/10/2013 - 09:36

• Advertisement

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

Are there any specific places in Cambodia you want to visit? What time of year are you going? If the rain is over, then head up to northeastern Cambodia, Ratanakiri / Mondulkiri provinces, that will get you well off the main tourist trail.

Siem Reap is also a must-see and it's hyper-touristy but IMO a great place. A full 2 weeks could easily be filled doing that, plus a quick stop in Phnom Penh. You should probably dedicate about the same length of time to south Vietnam.

#2 Posted: 9/10/2013 - 11:44

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I am confused, you are travelling through Cambodia, then up the coast of Vietnam, back into Cambodia on way back to Bangkok? That would be counter clockwise ;).

The only border crossing between east Cambodia and Vietnam is at Le Thanh. Do your research on this as I don't know how easy it is for tourists(ie what transport is available).

For an idea of route after entering Cambodia I would go to Battambang, Pursat, Phnom Penh, Kampot, Kep and obviously make any other stops you find interesting along that route. Head into Vietnam and spend some time checking out Mekong Delta, head to Ho Chi Minh, Dalat, Buon Ma Thuot, Pleiku again stopping at places you find interesting. Then cross into Cambodia to Banlung, check out Ratanakiri province, head to Stung Treng, Kratie, Kampong Cham, Siem Reap and back to Bangkok.

5 weeks would be tight but should be doable, when getting off the beaten track it is best to have lots of time to try and mingle more with locals. An idea of time in each area, 10-12 days to get to Vietnam border, 6-8 days to get to and see HCM, 6-8 days to get to Cambodia border, 8-10 days to Siem Reap, 3-5 days back to Bangkok. Total 33-43 days. As you can see more would be better for a trip like this but should be able to fit it in.

Definitely would be getting off the beaten paths a little bit doing this and should see some nice sights. Make sure you research it though as I haven't been to some of those places(skipped over most of the Mekong Delta and didn't head north from Dalat or into Ratanakiri) so not sure what they have etc, that is just the route that makes the most sense for what you are asking.

One thing that would likely be worthwhile is hiring an easy rider(motorcycle riders that do tours in that area) in Dalat to take you around and up to Pleiku. I am sure they could show you some neat places and it would also give you a guide and translator. Would add a little expense to the trip but might add a lot to your experience. Just make sure you find an easy rider that you like(maybe test him out for a day around Dalat before committing to multiple days).

#3 Posted: 9/10/2013 - 11:48

• craigcraig

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2013

Hi, i'm sorry i did mean to say the west coast of Cambodia, i will be going in January, the route i am looking to do after looking at the travelfish routes is, Battambang, Siem Reap. Kampong cham, Sen Monorom, Kratie, stung Treng, Ban Lung then cross border to Vietnam, down to Ho Chi Minh City, up to Phnon Penh, Kep, Kampot, Sikanoukville, Ko Kong back to Bangkok, thanks for your feed back & i will look at the places in Vietnam you said, i need to work out the time it is going to take i dont want to rush around, would appreciate your feed back on this route.is it realistic in 5 weeks, thanks again. Craig

#4 Posted: 9/10/2013 - 14:11

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Your idea is very similar to mine just in the opposite direction. Doesn't really matter that much, seeing the temples in Siem Reap would be a great way to end the trip though.

#5 Posted: 9/10/2013 - 23:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.