Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Guide for Tuol Sleng (S21) museum

• LAN

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2013

Hi,

We are planning to visit the s21 genocides museum but require a guide to go through the history and details if the museum. I was told for $6 I can get a guide for the museum. Does anyone know where we can get the guide?

Also for the Killing fields, what is a better option? The audio guide or a personal guide. What is the best way to get to the killing fields?

#1 Posted: 13/10/2013 - 18:57

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

There are guides standing around at the entrance of the museum, as you walk in. They will offer their services. Many of them had first had experience of the Khmer Rouge period so can offer some personal insight.

I wasn't aware of the audio guide at the Killing Fields. First time I went there, I didn't have a guide at all, but I did the second time. I'd say it was worth having one.... and I'd always prefer a real person over an audio guide as it is far more interactive (eg if you have questions.

You can easily hire a tuk tuk for the Killing Fields. They're found everywhere.

#2 Posted: 14/10/2013 - 08:09

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

I do not think you need a guide for either site. I have been there and they are well signposted. Save your money for Angkor beer.

#3 Posted: 14/10/2013 - 10:26

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

At the killing fields you are provided with an audio guide. No need for a guide there.

At Tuol Sleng they have little booklets you can purchase if you want but overall a guide or booklet is not really needed as there are signs in all the rooms etc. If you really want one I think you can hire a guide right there or pick up the booklet for more details.

#4 Posted: 14/10/2013 - 10:57

• MotHaiBa

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011

Whilst I agree that you can get away without a guide at tuol sleng, I would say that you will get an enhanced experience for very little outlay by engaging one of the guides you will see at the entrance. Particularly, as busylizzy says, from the powerful personal insights that they offer.

#5 Posted: 14/10/2013 - 21:08

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

The only issue with a guide is that you wouldn't have time to read all the stories etc unless you went and looked around again after having the guide show you. I would be tempted to look around and then purchase the book if you are really intrigued with it. That is what 90% of people do and there aren't even that many guides available. Just like at the killing fields unless you take a tour there they don't have guides there now because they have everything on the headsets.

#6 Posted: 14/10/2013 - 22:24

• LAN

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2013

Thanks for all the posts. Does anyone know roughly how much to hire tuk tuk to the Killing fields?

#7 Posted: 15/10/2013 - 18:26

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Just to the Killing fields you might be able to get $12-15. For both killing fields and S-21 probably $20 but maybe as cheap as $15 if your lucky/good at bartering.

I walked to S-21 and took moto taxi to Killing fields and I think I got it for $10 maybe $12, can't remember for sure. Lots of guys offering rides so if they try to highball you lowball them and then walk away if they complain. If they meet you in the middle at a reasonable amount then your off. If you use the same guy for a couple other things he will give you better deals as well(tour around town etc).

#8 Posted: 15/10/2013 - 19:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.