Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Kampot Cambodia

• peterdavid1

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2013

A beautiful serene place with a very nice atmosphere and nice people.Yet no one has written about this magical place? Why? I have been to many other towns and everybody I have spoken to that are visitors and expats living here love the place.Peter David Lost Art Restaurant Kampot.

#1 Posted: 17/10/2013 - 21:51

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Did you look at the site? Most threads on Cambodia also cover a debate about whether to check out Kampot/Kep vs. Sihanoukville.

http://www.travelfish.org/location/cambodia/southern_cambodia/kampot/kampot

#2 Posted: 17/10/2013 - 23:13

• peterdavid1

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2013

Hi Casey Prich,
    What treads? There is only one spiel about Kampot . Please advise me about the treads you say covers things in Kampot.
    Have you been here to Kampot? You seem to be an old member of travelfish you should be a full bottle on Kampot today and as far as the info on the site about Kampot,it is out of date,many of the places dont exist, or are no longer open,did you know that? So if you are the Travel Fish rep you need to update your info on Kampot.
    Thanks,
    Best wishes
    Peter David
    Lost Art Restaurant
    Please email me on: peterdavidredorchid@gmail.com

#3 Posted: 18/10/2013 - 01:25

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I'm not going to trawl through a bunch of old threads, but many of the general interest itinerary discussions include debates about whether or not to visit Kampot . Myself, I've posted more than a handful of recommendations about visiting Kampot and have offered advice on how to spend at least 4 nights there easily. You can see my personal views of Kampot from February 19th, 2013 at the bottom of the Kampot Introduction page.

Nope, not a rep, just a citizen. Don't know what a full bottle on Kampot is - however, there is a lively debate about it as I've said. Some have found the place rather dull in recent times, but you won't find a shortage of Kampot advocates on the sight.

#4 Posted: 18/10/2013 - 01:54

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes, Kampot hasn't been updated by a researcher in a few years. Is on the list for the remainder of this year.

Caseyprich is not a rep - just a longtime member who adds his personal views to the site -- which anyone can do and which we appreciate greatly.

Thanks Casey :-)

#5 Posted: 18/10/2013 - 04:24

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Kampot /Kep get numerous write ups on this and other sites and I have personally recommended Kampot on numerous occaisions

#6 Posted: 18/10/2013 - 05:36

• peterdavid1

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2013

Thanks to Somtam at Admin? I am glad I got your response and it confirms my view to Casey re updating the Kampot info guide that gives your subscribers incorrect info re some of the venues.That last message reply i wrote to Casey,...disapeared of my screen when i clicked on the Submit icon.Anyhow,I am happy that you may have a researcher update the info on Kampot Bars/Restaurants.If you wish i volunteer to assist with the correct info.As a member i would be happy to assist Travelfish.Best wishes to all who responded, thank you,I'd would like the visitors to know up-todate info about this great place to visit.I have been here 9 months in business,and i dont find it Dull,sorry Casey.There are many like me that think its the best place to live,and definetly a must visit place for the Tourists.Apart from the Crab Market and Rabbit Island in Kep I think Kep is a dump in comparison to Kampot.
    Sihanoukville is backpacker haven and 2 days there is enough for anyone except the Back Packers and the old geriatric guys wanting to go to BarGirl bars like Phnom Penh.

#7 Posted: 18/10/2013 - 21:46

• peterdavid1

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2013

Thanks to Somtam at Admin? I am glad I got your response and it confirms my view to Casey re updating the Kampot info guide that gives your subscribers incorrect info re some of the venues.That last message reply i wrote to Casey,...disapeared of my screen when i clicked on the Submit icon.Anyhow,I am happy that you may have a researcher update the info on Kampot Bars/Restaurants.If you wish i volunteer to assist with the correct info.As a member i would be happy to assist Travelfish.Best wishes to all who responded, thank you,I'd would like the visitors to know up-todate info about this great place to visit.I have been here 9 months in business,and i dont find it Dull,sorry Casey.There are many like me that think its the best place to live,and definetly a must visit place for the Tourists.Apart from the Crab Market and Rabbit Island in Kep I think Kep is a dump in comparison to Kampot.
    Sihanoukville is backpacker haven and 2 days there is enough for anyone except the Back Packers and the old geriatric guys wanting to go to BarGirl bars like Phnom Penh.

#8 Posted: 18/10/2013 - 21:46

• heleni

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

In defence of Kep .... until they dug the road up and decided to build a major highway up to the white horse I though this place was a little slice of paradise and have twice managed to spend 2 weeks there cycling round on my bicycle. Stunning rice fields, the not so secret dam, mountain walks, lovely places to stay, swimming pools to enjoy, villas to scramble through, newly converted ones to ask to look around and very village like. You get to know many people in a short space of time. Very friendly. Better not to eat at the crab market. Other places serve much better food. Rabbit island is to be skipped!

In comparison I found Kampot quite dreary. After you have visited Bokor mountain and done a river cruise I found little to do. No picturesque bike rides and architecturally wrecked. What is it with those aluminium 3rd storeys added to old colonial buildings. The whole place could do with a bit of paint too. Also found it very dirty. Did I miss something? I was there in 2010, 2011 and this year! It has potential. I hope they spend a bit of money restoring it to its former glory!

#9 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 12:38

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I prefer Kampot to Kep hands down - Otres Beach otherwise.

#10 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 21:29

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Heleni - did you take the ride out into the salt flats across the river and south of the city? We took motorbikes as it got a bit sandy for peddling, but getting out there for the start of sunset was gorgeous.

#11 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 21:55

• peterdavid1

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2013

I thought we were talking about Restaurants/Bars.I thought that was the subject was about.Not Scenic country trips on cycles and motorbikes.Not every visitor wants to do cycle or motorbike trips like Heleni eh?There are travel agents that do day tours of the places of interest.But one must pay for these guided tours ofcourse.However,i agree about the repainting of some of the old buildings and the roads can be a bit cleaner.But the place is very nice apart from those 2 small issues.The views are great.I thought Somtam said that the review needed updating for Restaurants Bars and Guesthouses?The info is out of date and needs immediate updating.If one does care about the right info given to the person looking for this on the Travel Fish site.

#12 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 23:36

• peterdavid1

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2013

Full Bottle Australian slang, meaning ''Know it all'' And Casey I did try to find your reviews but i could not, as it maybe too old back in Feb?If they do still exist can you please reply i would love to read them on Kampot/Kep?thanks it is important to know what has been said,or put on the Travel Fish site to help the tourists find things of interest to do,apart from Bokor Mountain which by the way is a world heritage site and really quite fantastic set up done by the French with convict labour,Iam told,the views from up there is great on a clear day, in my humble opinion, and the usual trips up or down the Estuary.Casey and Heleni I could relay that info to tourists i meet in Kampot. Cheers and thanks for your input to all the people that wrote their views.

#13 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 23:57

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

There are Three main problems with Travelfish (in my humble opinion)

1. They are very slow at updating reports so as above much is out of date and changed
    2. The maps are of limited use as they usually do not show the key locations such as bus and taxi stations, hotels/guesthoses
    3. There is little feedback from users with updates on closures/new places

#14 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 05:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.