Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Money

• craigcraig

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2013

Which is the best currency to take to Cambodia & the safest way eg; travellers cheque's , pre pay card etc, i don't use credit cards
    Thanks

#1 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 11:23

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

$ US Cash - ATM's dispense US$ - Use Riel for smaller transactions - which will usually be given back to you as small change.When entering you're need $20.00 for your visa.

#2 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 01:31

• craigcraig

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2013

Thanks,
    the reason i asked was the the place where i got my us dollar told me that i could also use the Thai baht ? which i haven't seen on any forum's

#3 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 07:13

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

If you use thai baht it will cost you more, so at the border for instance they may try and charge you 1200 baht for your visa.

#4 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 07:28

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I am guessing a pre pay card is a debit card? Any card that will work at an ATM is the best way to go imo. ATM's can be found in most major towns and dispense US which is also used as the main currency. Canadia banks charge no withdrawal fee which is nice as well.

If you have unused Thai baht just go into a bank and change it, many places likely will accept it but will give bad exchange rates.

#5 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 08:23

• craigcraig

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2013

Yes you load the card with what ever currency you need & use it like a debit card, but you do get charged each time you use it, this is another question the cards are a similar idea to travelers cheque, if you loose it you can still get the money of it, would you advise this card or travelers cheque ?

#6 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 08:58

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Don't you just have a regular debit or credit card?

Problem with something like a card like that is that I don't know that all ATM's would accept it and it would suck to be stranded with no money because of it. Travellers cheques are ok but require you to find a bank to get money, finding an ATM is much easier.

If you don't have a debit or credit card my advice would be to go get one. Should be able to get one and will relieve a lot of headaches. Then you can also take a travellers cheque just in case if you are so inclined.

I took 2 debit cards and a credit card and between them never had any problem getting cash. Every once in a while for unknown reasons 1 card wouldn't work though so good to have a backup even for that.

#7 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 09:59

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I went to a Canadia branch in Battambang and the max withdrawal amount was so low I would have had to make several withdrawals - I went to another bank which would let me withdraw more - and paid the fee, but just once - My bank at home charges me $5 at my regular debit card. Plan to use the same card in Malaysia where apparently they have no bank fees.

#8 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 11:35

• heleni

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

I'm not sure which country you are from. I'm from the UK and took an AA cash card that you can transfer funds on to online as you travel and use at any ATM. The Post Office offer a similar card. It used to be free but I noticed I was charged at some banks but still much less than on my debit card. Yes I took a debit card as well.

Also some travellers cheques that I have carried around for years and years as a back-up.

I finally decided to use them in Battambang and went into the ANZ bank (I think to the left of the market river end?). "Excuse me ... do you take traveller's cheques?". "Yes madam we do". "Oh lovely then I would like to change these please". "It is our bank's policy not to take traveller's cheques". "I see so you do take them but it is your policy not to!!!". I went across the road to the Canadia bank and changed them with no bother.

#9 Posted: 27/10/2013 - 18:01

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Any of the Canadia banks I was at let you withdraw as much as any other bank I believe. Definitely not significantly lower then other ATM's. If you want to withdraw lots of money(in excess of $200) you better have a couple cards with you since they don't let you do multiple withdrawals at any ATM.

#10 Posted: 27/10/2013 - 18:44

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

yes mine was in excess of 200$ - That's why I went to ANZ instead. Across from Canadia at the market in Battambang. The name just clicked.

#11 Posted: 27/10/2013 - 22:41

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

I would recommend a debit card to use at ATMs. Check the withdrawal fee before you take the money out - some ATMs have quite high charges.

If you're relying on traveller's cheques, you will only be able to change them when the bank is open. Cambodia has a tremendous amount of public holidays, when the banks are closed, and of course, they don't open evenings/weekends.

Thai baht are only generally accepted in areas close to Thailand - much better to use dollars and riel. You can change up dollars at money change kiosks. They're usually near markets and are glass booths with lots of bank notes stuck on the front. Banks don't tend to change money.

Bring some dollars with you in a money belt, so you don't have to worry straight away about accessing cash.

#12 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 23:42

• craigcraig

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2013

Thanks for the info, all ;)

#13 Posted: 15/11/2013 - 05:44

• mixxat

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2012
    Location Other

If you are a tough guy like me, you can go with 1000 dollar of cash

#14 Posted: 16/11/2013 - 11:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.