Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Road Conditions: Phnom Penh to Kratie?

Posted by dibrarian on 1/11/2013 at 11:31

I have planned to bicycle from Phnom Penh to Kratie beginning November 10 and wondered if anyone had any info on the road conditions post-flood. I've read on bike touring sites (Mr. Pumpy's, Crazyguyonabike, TravelingTwo, etc.) that road conditions are typically very rough and dusty, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone knew if they are now worse than they already were. Any advice appreciated.

#1 dibrarian has been a member since 1/11/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by phuphum on 2/11/2013 at 04:02

The main highway before and and after Skuon is torn up due to road construction and continues thus in diminishing headaches until Kampong Cham. From Kampong Cham on the main highway(not the turnoff which passes through Chhlang) is OK except of course for unpredictable
traffic behavior which you must expect in Cambodia. It is doable, but perhaps not enjoyable.

#2 phuphum has been a member since 22/10/2011. Posts: 49

Posted by Geer1 on 2/11/2013 at 07:04

I wouldn't want to ride a bike in Cambodia or pretty much any SEA country for that matter, poor road conditions are quite common and lots of crazy drivers.

#3 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by dibrarian on 2/11/2013 at 15:36

Phuphum, thanks for the advice! So if I take Route 61 and bypass Skuon as this website suggests (http://travellingtwo.com/resources/cambodia/phnompenh-laos), I should be able to avoid the worst of it, right?

Geer1, I've already cycled in Cambodia and Thailand (just not this particular route), so I'm aware of the chaos, thanks.

#4 dibrarian has been a member since 1/11/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by phuphum on 3/11/2013 at 03:15

Sorry I can't answer your question; I've never been on that route.

#5 phuphum has been a member since 22/10/2011. Posts: 49

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.