Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

3 week itinerary - Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia

• corion

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2013

Hi everyone, I am planning a 3 week trip in May 2014 to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. I am flying from London and plan to head to Bangkok first as I believe this where I can get cheapest direct flights to get into the region. I am travelling with my wife and we are keen photographers looking for a mixture of temples, natural scenery, and good food.

So here is my rough itinerary:-

-Fly from Bangkok to Phnom Penh (Flight using Bangkok Airlines)

-Phnom Penh (2 nights and 1.5 days

-Bus (Mekong Express or Giant Ibis) from Phnom Penh to Siam Reap

-Siam Reap (5 nights and 4.5 days)

-Fly from SR to Luang Prabang (using Laos Airline)

-Luang Prabang (5 nights and 4.5 days) before getting a bus to Vang Vieng

-Vang Vieng (2 nights and 1.5 days) before getting a bus to Vientiane

-Vientiane (3 nights and 2 days)

-Fly from Vientiane to Bangkok (Flight on Laos Airlines)

-Spend 2.5 days in Bangkok before flying back to London

Please could you give any comments as to my itinerary? Specifically:-

i) I have tried to allocate a good amount of time in each place - please let me know if I should be spending more or less time in each place

ii) Are there any other interesting towns/places which I have missed which could potentially be added to the itinerary? Or things which I should consider taking off?

iii) I have seen other itineraries where people have gone to Bangkok, then Laos and then Cambodia - are there any cost or time savings from doing this?

iv) I believe that Bangkok is the best place to start our trip around Laos and Cambodia - are there any other options which I have missed?

v) I have taken flights where I can in order to save time as I have quite a limited time to spend in the region - are these the best available options or could I get a train/bus?

I apologise for the really detailed questions :) and many thanks in advance :) :)

#1 Posted: 18/11/2013 - 05:59

• Advertisement

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

As others on LP I wonder about Phnom Phen but having said that you may well enjoy photographing some of the sites. I would probably stick to 3 full days (4 nights) in Siem Reap

yes there are many places you are missing but very difficult to suggest "the one for you" especially with limited time but perhaps also shave a day of Luang Prabang and cut out Vang Vieng and Vietainne and instead visit the border area (chinese) .

Cost wise doubt there is much differance which way you do it and if you do follow my suggesting then starting in the North of Laos might be better. If you do stick to your plan you might condier taking the sleeper train back to Bangkok from Nong Khai on the otherside of the border if time permits but book it in Bangkok when you arrive.

Given Int. connections bangkok is probably the best place to fly in and out of

#2 Posted: 19/11/2013 - 05:43

• corion

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2013

I was thinking of skipping Vang Vieng and maybe spending sometime on Battambang - but cant decide which one to do!! Its a hard one!

#3 Posted: 21/11/2013 - 17:14

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I think you're a little low on the natural scenery with the itinerary and therefore I would leave Vang Vieng in. The countryside around Battambang is also great but a lot flatter and with more rice fields so it depends on your interests. Food in Battambang is better but since all your other destinations have great food I wouldn't make that a critical point.
    Battambang will also cost you more travel time.
    Otherwise given your interests the itinerary looks fine. Although I would do a night less in Vientiane perhaps

Most flights from BKK to Siem Reap make a stop in Phnom Penh (or the other way around). It's worth checking out if you can use the stopover for a few nights. The road trip from PP to Siem Reap is ok but if you have a "free" flight that would be preferable.

#4 Posted: 22/11/2013 - 00:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 week itinerary - Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia ... By corion on 18 Nov 2013 3 1596 29 Nov 2013
Itinerary Help: 1 week in Laos and Cambodia ... By melig on 22 Mar 2013 4 1370 24 Mar 2013
Itinerary Help: 1 week in Laos and Cambodia ... By melig on 22 Mar 2013 2 1650 23 Mar 2013
Thailand/Laos/Cambodia 6 week itinerary ... By pascal1980 on 31 Dec 2011 16 6226 2 Nov 2012
Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos 3 week itinerary ... By fionoula on 23 Oct 2009 1 3943 24 Oct 2009
6 Week itinerary for Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia ... By langleym1 on 12 Jan 2013 4 2608 17 Jan 2013
itinerary advise for one week in northeastern cambodia to laos ... By malaysiangirl on 15 Dec 2010 4 3097 2 Jan 2011
Help on my 5 week itinerary: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (Vietnam) ... By snowowl on 22 Feb 2010 2 4147 26 Feb 2010
Help on my 5 week itinerary: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (Vietnam) ... By snowowl on 22 Feb 2010 3 2865 23 Feb 2010
Help on my five week itinerary through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia ... By nateyu on 19 Nov 2007 9 5949 20 Dec 2010