Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Cambodia Itinerary (3-4 weeks)

• stever1000

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2013

Hello!

My partner and I will be traveling from Vietnam (overland or flying) sometime in April 2014. We are planning to spend 3-4 weeks in Cambodia, but we are flexible. We have to be in Thailand for a course in early May.
    I also posted an itinerary in Vietnam.

We want to see the "best of" Cambodia since we don't know when we will be back. We are interested in everything, we don't care too much about partying.

These are the places we want to go:
    Phnom Pehn, Siem Riep, Battambang, Kep, Kampot, Sihanoukville (islands and beaches nearby), Ko Kong, Kampong Cham, Kratie (any other suggestions?)
    We might do Ko Kong last so we can head across the boarder into Thailand.

We were looking at the travel fish map (one month itinerary): https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=114019800160868835664.0004937bac32ec94bf170&ll=12.297068,105.029297&spn=3.756351,6.591797&z=7&source=embed

We are wondering how to see these places with minimal backtracking. (We are okay flying if it is reasonable, to save sitting hours on a bus on the same road we already have driven). It obviously doesn't look as easy as vietnam since it is not north-south.

Another concern is how regular itineraries and travel are affected since we will be traveling in "hot" season before it turns to the rainy season.

Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 21/11/2013 - 05:01

• Advertisement

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

You have the main places. If you go first to battambang from PP and then Siem Reap you could go direct to Kratie and down to the south to save a bit of back tracking. I am not a fan of Sianoukville myself but each to their own.

Without too much deviation you might consider Chi Phat a small village in the jungle on the way to Koh Kong see link

http://www.ecoadventurecambodia.com/

#2 Posted: 21/11/2013 - 05:24

• stever1000

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2013

I have no interest in the town of Sihanoukville, I just read there are some nice islands away from the town that are less visited and are supposed to be beautiful
    Thanks for the link, I will check that out

#3 Posted: 21/11/2013 - 17:30

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Your best option likely is to enter in to Phnom Penh . Then decide if you would rather go to Battambang or Kratie next. Do a loop Phnom Penh - Battambang - Siem Reap - Kampong Cham - Kratie - Phnom Penh or vice versa. Then head down to Kep /Koh Tonsay - Kampot - Sihanoukville - Koh Rong etc - Koh Kong - Thailand.

Alternatively you could enter via Ha Tien and go straight to Kep then - Kampot - Sihanoukville - Koh Rong - Koh Kong - Phnom Penh - Kratie - Kampong Cham - Siem Reap - Battambang - Thailand. Probably not any quicker this way but it depends on how you want to enter/leave Cambodia.

#4 Posted: 21/11/2013 - 19:45

• stever1000

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2013

Thanks! Would 3-4 weeks be suitable time?

#5 Posted: 4/12/2013 - 05:40

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan
    Total reviews: 5

go overland in Ratanakiri and do the 6/7 day trek in Virachey National Park to the Veal Thom Grasslands. It will be a highlight. From there take your time getting down to Phnom Penh, stopping off in Kratie by the Mekong. My 2 cents.

#6 Posted: 4/12/2013 - 08:04

• stever1000

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2013

Would 3-4 weeks be a reasonable amount of time to do this?
    Is the effort to get to Kratie worth it?

#7 Posted: 18/1/2014 - 19:28

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

You should allow 6-7 hours travel time from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap, and 5 hours from PP down to Sihanoukville. Be prepared not to do too much on travel days, other than finding your bed for the night and eating.

Siem Reap deserves a few days - you can get a 3 day temple pass and there's other things to see too.
    For one of the islands, boats usually leave about 9am and return to the mainland about 6pm, so you'll need to stay close-by. The islands require at least two nights stay to get the benefit, but I always go for longer!
    Two to three days minimum in Phnom Penh if you want to do more than just visit the genocide museum.
    If you like a bit of activity - visiting caves, walking, river cruise, kayaking etc then you could happily spend a week between Kampot and Kep.

Regarding the travel bit, Khmer New Year is 13 - 15 April this year. The roads get busy, transport and accommodation needs booking in advance and expats tend to head to the beach. Phnom Penh is usually pretty empty and not all restaurants/attractions are open. However, if you can arrange a trip in the countryside around this time, it's a fascinating time, with dancing, traditional games and 'road blocks' of kids who will throw white powder on you, spray you with water and require a 'toll' for passing through.

#8 Posted: 31/1/2014 - 00:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.