Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Anti maleria tablets

• craigcraig

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2013

I am going out to Cambodia in January 14 to the end of feb, my doctor is recommending Prqguanil ? i will be going to the main tourist places and maybe Rattan Akiri, Ive read a lot on the forum, not sure what to do ? can anybody advise,can you buy these tablets in Bangkok ?

thanks

#1 Posted: 28/11/2013 - 10:13

• Advertisement

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Never heard of the tablets you mention.

You can buy Doxycycline over the counter in bangkok very cheaply (2-5 baht a tablet) which my doctor (UK) recommends

Much debate on to take or not to take but given that they cost so little ...

#2 Posted: 29/11/2013 - 05:26

• craigcraig

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2013

I will check the name but she told me that these were the best for Cambodia, she did mention Doxycycline but said you would have to stay out of the sun and that it didnt give you the best cover ?
    Thanks for the reply

#3 Posted: 29/11/2013 - 10:21

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Personally, I don't like the idea of taking anti-malarials. I've carried doxy on 2 different trips (6 weeks and 6 months) but could never bring myself to take them, even when entering the higher risk areas. Admittedly, it was generally pretty dry and there were few mosquitoes around both times. My view is that you still need repellent and/or to cover up to minimise the risk of dengue fever for which there is nothing you can take to prevent it.

On my current extended trip, I have opted to carry around Malarone as a treatment rather than preventative (12 tablets) on the suggestion of my doctor. I'm much happier with that although it's annoying to know so much $ is tied up in something I probably won't need.

Also, I was given Doxy earlier this year as an antibiotic. Without thinking about it, I was doing some gardening on a cloudy day and got a bit sunburned (unusually so). Not everyone experiences that side-effect but I now know for me that Doxy would never be an option in SEA.

#4 Posted: 29/11/2013 - 18:56

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

I understand what you are saying about Doxycycline and yes it does have some possible side effects. I have taken them both in Asia and Africa during the hot and dry seasons without negative side effects but I do not spend my time on the beach or sunbathing but I know others who have and also did not suffer

At the end of the day you need to take a decision on whether to follow your doctors advise or take another course of action. Remember if you do decide to search out the tablets abroad make sure you have the correct details

#5 Posted: 30/11/2013 - 05:00

• craigcraig

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2013

Hi thanks for the info, the doctors i am at had someone die from Malaria, the name of the tablet is a mixture of Atovaquone/Proguanil which is the one they recommend for high risk areas & Doxycycline for lower risk areas, i am going in January/February from Bangkok to Battambang ,Siem Reap, Kompong Cham, Phnom Penh, over the boarder to Vietnam then back up the west coast, can anyone tell if there are any high risk areas where I'm going
    thanks

#6 Posted: 17/12/2013 - 05:44

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

I've used Malarone a few times, as it has the least negative side-effects of anti-malarials; for me, anyway. As Busylizzy said, using repellant and covering up is the best policy, as nothing you take can prevent dengue infection if you're bitten by one of the little striped buggars. Using doxycycline is a terrible idea. There's enough over-use of antibiotics and concomitant rise of drug-resistant illnesses as it is, without contributing to it in this way.

#7 Posted: 8/1/2014 - 10:12

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

If you are going to use antimalarials do it right and take Malarone.

Antimalarials are in no way a substitute for not covering up and using bug spray though. Dengue fever is much more prevalent, is untreatable/preventable and can be just as dangerous depending on the strain. I was unlucky enough to get Dengue fever while travelling in Laos and would not recommend it.

The only way I would take malaria pills is if I knew there was an epidemic going through the area at the time. Otherwise I think just common sense, good mosquito net at night etc is good enough. If you want to be a little more on the safe side you can take 12 malarone pills and use them as "treatment" if you get sick. Note malarone treatment isn't a true treatment and you still have to get to a hospital asap but at least it fights the affects off for a while.

#8 Posted: 8/1/2014 - 13:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Anti-malaria tablets, I need help! ... By torilou on 10 Jun 2010 7 4987 17 Jun 2010
anti- malaria tablets really needed? ... By Jolinde on 22 Jun 2010 3 3119 25 Jun 2010
Would you get anti-malaria and anti-rabies preventative treatments for Luang Prabang? ... By EdwardTrunk on 15 Jan 2014 4 1455 19 Jan 2014