Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Cardamom mountain trekking from trapaeng roung or chi pat?

• Stphie

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2013

Hi,
    we are 2 girls travelling through SEA and are about to spend 2 weeks in Cambodia.
    We would like to do a 2 - 3 day trekking in the cardamom mountains.
    We'll be coming from Battambang and after cardamom mountains travelling back to thailand/bangkok.
    2 questions:
    - What base should we take? Trapaeng Roung or Chi Pat?
    - How do we get there? bus? boat? taxi? via Koh Kong? Pursat? ... I hear transport and roads are not that great in that region.

I hope to get some good info. thanks in advance

Stephie

#1 Posted: 16/12/2013 - 05:06

• Advertisement

• maierstill

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2013

From Battambang you need to take the bus to Phnom Penh and from there to Koh Kong and get off where you cross the river in Andoung Toek. From there you'll take a boat to Chi Phat. Chi Phat is probably nice, as there is something of a center, while Trapaeng Roung is really spread out. In any case you would have to book your stay in Chi Phat in advance and they'll advise you. If you want further advise or to get much closer in touch with Cambodia and it's people, you can send me a pm or write to me maierstill1 (at) netscape.net
    Till

#2 Posted: 16/12/2013 - 12:40

• Stphie

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2013

Hi,

Thx for the answer.
    meanwhile i read some more about chi phat and we prefer the chi phat for the trekking in nature.
    Do you think we can make the trip Battambang - Chi phat in one day? Or will we have to stay a night in Phnom Penh ...
    Do we travel by bus or taxi? Or can we take train or boat between battambang and Phnom Penh or Phnom Penh and Andoung toek.

Stephie

#3 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 02:29

• maierstill

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2013

You'll have to stay over in Phnom Penh. Bus from Battambang to PP is 5 hours and from PP to where you need to get off, towards Koh Kong, will be at least 4 hours. You also still have to get a boat for the 20km up the river...
    I would always suggest buses in Cambodia, - they're almost as fast as taxis and rather comfortable-, simply for safety reasons. Traffic is killer No.1 in Cambodia.
    Till

#4 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 05:25

• Juha_H

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2013

Hi,

I'm also looking for two to three days trekking near Koh Kong or Cardamom mountain area. What nature parks are you recommending in that area? I have understood that Chi Phat area is quite nice? And how about Cardamom Mountains? Should I book the tour guide to the forest? I would also appreciate the information how to get there by bus. I'm right now in Koh Rong island and will start my trip to the nature park in 4th of Jan from Sihanoukville.

I have very limited access to the internet while backpacking so can't do much research by myself. Thank you soo much for the answers :-)

#5 Posted: 31/12/2013 - 23:39

• Juha_H

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2013

Can you recommend accommodation located near nature on Koh Kong area with easy access to the Cardamom mountain forest? It seems that there's not so many option on the Tai Tai River or Chi Pat? I have been emailing to Rainbow lodge (this if fully booked) and Neptune River bungalows, but I haven't get any answers because they are probably fully booked too at this time of the year.
    Is there some other accommodation options near Tai Tai river?

How about accommodation on Chi Phat area? It seems that there's plenty of places to stay overnight, but they are not online. Do you think there's room for one if I just pop up there?

#6 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 20:53

• maylosada

Joined Travelfish
    28th June, 2013

Once you get to chi phat, go to the eco turism office, and they will ask you if you can want a family stay, guesthouse or bungalow. We stayed in a guesthouse, double room with private bathroom for £7. You dont need to book it in advance.

They have plenty of trekking routes that you can book once you get there. Although, if you like trekking, I would recommend to ask them for a good guide. We booked 3 days trekking in the jungle, and we decided to come back to the village on the first day... our guide was really lazy, and he was stopping every 15 min; we didnt want to waste other 2 days of our holidays like that. But I think we just had bad luck. We spoke with other people who did other routes, and they loved it.

enjoy!

#7 Posted: 8/1/2014 - 14:58

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

I have just come back from 3 weeks in Chi Phat and loved every minute there. as above no need to book and easy to reach as all the bus drivers will drop you off at the right place for the boat/moto.

maylosada - you must have been really unlucky with your guide

#8 Posted: 8/1/2014 - 21:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Trekking in the Cardamom Mountains ... By Ruddiger1 on 12 Nov 2009 1 4282 12 Nov 2009