Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Two to three weeks itinerary in Cambodia

• Juha_H

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2013

Hi there,

I am going to Cambodia with my girlfriend tomorrow via Saigon and I was hoping to get a bit of feedback on our draft itinerary. What do you think about this plan?

20.12. Helsinki -> Ho Chi Minh.
    22.12. Ho Chi Minh
    23.12. Ho Chi Minh -> Phnom Penh
    24.12.-25.12. Phnom Penh
    26.12.-28.12. Siem Reap
    29.12.-30.12. Kampot, Kep, Bokor
    31.12.-3.1. Koh Rong island
    4.1. Shinaoukville -> Phnom Penh
    5.1. My girlfriend flies back to Finland. Snif...I'm travelling alone ;-(
    6.1.-12.1. Wohoo! Still one week vacation left :-) What should I do? Should I travel somewhere in Cambodia or go back to Ho Chi Minh and see the Vietnam? I love the nature, beautiful landscapes and interesting places.
    12.1. I fly back to Finland from Ho Chi Minh. Oh darn. Back in snowy Finland.

We don't have any special requirements for this trip. We would to relax, see the nature if it is possible, see local Khmer culture, enjoy beaches and scuba diving in Koh Rong, take lot of pictures on the road. What places would you recommend? And where should I go between 6.1.-12.1. when I'm travelling alone? We are travelling soon and I'm still bit puzzled what to do. Any links you would like to share? I love animals so Phnom Tamao wildlife refuge is must see for me.

Thanks in advance for you tips :-)

#1 Posted: 18/12/2013 - 09:52

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

2 days for Kampot, Kep, Bokor with one of those a travel day doesn't make any sense.
    Getting from Siem Reap to Kampot/Kep takes a full tiring day on the bus. Doesn't make any sense to go through all that trouble for just one full day. Better to leave it out then and add a day to Siem Reap and/or Sihanoukville .

Alternatively you can fly from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville and pass through Kampot/Kep on 2,3,4 of Jan. on the way back to Phnom Penh. If you leave on morning of 2nd you still have the afternoon in Kampot, a full day on 3rd and a morning on 4th

#2 Posted: 18/12/2013 - 20:47

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

We did something similar, though had a few more days. I'd actually recommend flying from HCMC to Siem Reap and doing that first. Then it'll take the better part of a day to get to PP. Then you can use two days in PP to take a break on the trip before heading down to Kampot /Kep area.

Your girlfriend is flying back from PP or HCMC? If so, you may want to just stop in Kampot for a day and head back into Vietnam to Can Tho on your way back to HCMC. . . all a bit rushed though. In fact, I might agree with eastwest that (and though I really love Kampot) you can relax a little more if you just cut it out. Then you might head down there after dropping her off and moto around the area for a couple nights, enter Vietnam at Ha Tien and work your way back to HCMC through Can Tho and the delta.

#3 Posted: 18/12/2013 - 23:00

• Juha_H

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2013

My girlfriend is flying back from Phnom Penh and I have flights back from Ho Chi Minh. So if we change our route little bit and rethink of not going to Kampot area. Are there some interesting places on the road between Siem Reap -> Phnom Pehn -> Koh Rong?

Yep. I agree that two to three weeks is nothing, but what can one do about the fact that work takes too much time of from travelling.

#4 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 10:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.