Cambodia forum

Medication

• SilverFox

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2013
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 6

I was wondering about Cambodia's drug laws. I have read a few reviews but they have been asking about recreational drug use. My question is am I allowed to take my prescribed medication with me or will I be refused entry or worse jail? My medication is prescribed by my doctor and he would give me a letter explaining the medication. My medication is Valium,methadone and mitrazpine. I had no problem last year while visiting Thailand and actually got OTC Valium. And had no problems with customs either in Thailand or back home in UK. Please can someone help answer this question as I would like to visit Cambodia early in 2014. Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 20/12/2013 - 13:38

• Advertisement

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

Arriving in Cambodia by air might involve having to show that you are legally prescribed the drugs, but I imagine you will be fine in Cambodia if you had no problems in Thailand. If you are arriving by land from Thailand, as many do, you are unlikely to be searched or be made show your prescriptions.

#2 Posted: 21/12/2013 - 07:51

• SilverFox

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2013
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 6

Thanks for that. One more question if I want to stay longer and my meds run out can I get a repeat prescription in Cambodia?

#3 Posted: 21/12/2013 - 08:36

• mixxat

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2012
    Location Other
    Places visited:
    At least 16

You dont need prescription when you go pharmacy in Cambodia. Seems like you have hard medicines, take care and have a nice holiday

#4 Posted: 21/12/2013 - 15:26

• SilverFox

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2013
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 6

Thanks for the information mixxat. One more question about this, you said you don't need a proscription. So if I decide to stay longer than my meds last can I reload my meds there without to much hasstle. ie.Do I need to slip a local doctor a few notes for a legal prescription(i had to do that in Thailandbut it was worth it.I did well.nuff said) or can I get my meds OTC? Any information would be greatly received.

#5 Posted: 21/12/2013 - 16:40

• SilverFox

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2013
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 6

Just because I am on medication, why can't I sort myself out in the tropics. It worked for me in Thailand but fell off the wagon in Holland. So why mess with a system that works for me. No chills in the tropics.

#6 Posted: 22/12/2013 - 12:13

• vbeck

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2013

No prescription is required
    ''Over the counter'' at any Chemist

#7 Posted: 22/12/2013 - 18:40

• SilverFox

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2013
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 6

Thanks for that vbeck. So if I do run out of my medication I can get it in Cambodia? All of it, Valium and even methadone with out seeing a local doctor? I really need this to be true because running out of my meds is not an option and I need to get away for at least a month and if it's true that I can get my meds legally in Cambodia then I can stay longer. Anyone who knows this to be true let me know, facts not hear say. Thanks.

#8 Posted: 23/12/2013 - 03:39

• mixxat

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2012
    Location Other
    Places visited:
    At least 16

I dont have experiences about that, but i know visiting local doctor is easy and cheap, so why not if you stay longtime there

#9 Posted: 9/1/2014 - 12:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.