Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

One month through cambodia: looking for hints!

• MartinaSmar-
    tiz

Joined Travelfish
    6th December, 2013
    Location Italy

Hi everyone!
    i'm currently in china and planned to spend the winter holidays (jan/12 to feb/13) travelling around cambodia with my boyfriend. we're arriving at and leaving from bangkok.

i want to enjoy tropical beaches but at the same time i don't want to miss the temples and the lush nature of this beautiful country.
    i figured out a rough list of the places i'd like to hit: bangkok, maybe one or two thai islands (koh samet, koh chang?), peam krasop, koh kong, sihanoukville and islands (really need help to choose which!), kampot, phnom penh, siem reap, and then back to bangkok. do you think it's too much for one month?

it's my first time in this part of the world so i'm looking for advices of any kind! in particular, i'd like to know what do you think about including thai islands in the itinerary and how many days would you recommend in the various places. i want to manage the time wisely enough to get at least two weeks of relax on the beach.

any suggestion will be very useful! thanks!

#1 Posted: 22/12/2013 - 11:30

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

4 weeks sounds about right for that itinerary

I would personally skip Ko Samet . You can always add that island at the end of your trip if you go quicker than planned through the other destinations.

My thought would be to spend about a week on Ko Chang and the surrounding islands. Afterwards head to Sihanoukville for a short week to check the islands and beaches there.

Then you still have 2 weeks left to explore the rest of Cambodia. Calculate about 1 week for PP (2-3 nights) and Siem Reap (4-5 nights). That leaves you with a couple of days for Kampot ( on the way to PP) and to get back from Siem Reap to Bangkok.

If for any reason a place doesn't seem worthy of your time you can always shorten it and end your trip on Ko Samet before you fly out.

#2 Posted: 23/12/2013 - 02:41

• MartinaSmar-
    tiz

Joined Travelfish
    6th December, 2013
    Location Italy

thanks eastwest! just want to ask you one more question... once we cross the border will the thai visa be cancelled? if so, i assume that we have to buy two thai visas, the first at the airport and the second when we come back from cambodia... right?

#3 Posted: 26/12/2013 - 03:29

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I don't know about Italian nationals for sure but most likely you will be able to get a visa on arrival for both times. There used to be a 14 day limit for the second time you enter over land but I believe that is now 30 days. In both cases that should be plenty.

Somebody else will probably fill in the details or check on a official website for Thailand

#4 Posted: 26/12/2013 - 05:47

• seowork

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2013

HI
    st great writeup. The idea in reality had been your entertainment accounts this. Start looking complicated to way added gratifying within you! Mind you, exactly how should we keep up some sort of communication..

#5 Posted: 27/12/2013 - 01:29

• meeshakar

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011
    Location United States

If you have time, traveling from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap- we stayed in Battambang for 3-4 nights. I think people skip over this place and it's such a gem. It's an easy car ride and pretty much right in between the two places. We loved that little town. There were maybe half a dozen tourists that we kept seeing around and saying hello to as we would walk through town. One of my favorite days when I was traveling in Cambodia was borrowing some old bikes from the place we stayed at and rode them up this road to some temples. But along the way we passed so many great areas and people. Even stopped at a crocodile farm (pretty smelly) but it was so peaceful and beautiful. Just another place to possibly check out!

#6 Posted: 27/12/2013 - 01:42

• MDAnhorn

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2013

I strongly suggest checking out the Khmer Ways moto tour when in Siem Reap. Myself and four friends went on the half day tour back in May and thoroughly enjoyed it. Most of us considered it the best experience of our entire trip. You actually get to ride through rice fields and country settings and see the real Cambodia.

During our trip we also brought toys to give to children we encountered along the way.

#7 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 17:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.