Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Overnight transport PP to Siem Reap?

• Yun

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2007

I have a very tight schedule in Cambodia - arrive PP airport 27/12 0905am and due to leave 30/12 1005am. In this short time, I hope to cover the big sites of Angkor and some of PP also (ambitious...)

In order to save on travel time, I was wondering if anyone knew of any overnight travel options between these two places.

Bus or taxi - I'm not fussed (as it's cheaper than flying), does anyone know of any that would drive me overnight?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 22/8/2007 - 09:29

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I wouldn't recommend the trip at night, and you'll probably have some difficulty finding a driver willing to do it at night. The roads are not lit and there's all manner of wandering stuff that may stray onto the road.

The trip only takes around 4 hours, so I'd suggest leaving PP early -- then you'tr in SR for breakfast.

#2 Posted: 23/8/2007 - 10:36

• Roving_Roo

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2006

This journey can be done at night, I've done it leaving SR at 4am and the driver was good. Not all drivers are though and you may hve to pay an additional $5 for the night time run. I paid $60 (to the airport) and was happy with how it fitted into my plans. I would say though that you 3D3N trip will be a whirlwind if you are arriving in PP and want to go up to SR and see the temples as well as seeing some of PP. I would say stick to one or the other and if you are heading up to SR then investigate flights; If it is just you then the flights should be that much more expensive

Rachel

#3 Posted: 29/8/2007 - 00:34

• Yun

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2007

Thanks for your replies.

Because I don't know if I'll ever come back (LOTS of places I want to travel to) I'd be trying to cover both PP & SR in this one trip. I've looked at the flights, but I thought if you consider check in/out times, then the time saving isn't really worth it for the money extra. So I'd be happy to take a taxi I think.

In order to catch sunrise/sunset at Angkor Wat, what time would I be looking at to arrive? I assume masses of tourists clog up the area beforehand all wanting a piece?

#4 Posted: 3/9/2007 - 10:40

• Roving_Roo

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2006

Hi Yun,

To make sunrise (remember you would need to buy your ticket on the way too so allow time for this) you would need to be in Siem Reap at 5am, sunset is about 5.45-6pm. There are always lots of people at Angkor Wat.

If you are taking a taxi from Phnom Penh this driver may not be willing to take you around the temples as well. Taxi drivers usually do set routes, eg Siem Reap to Phnom Penh and back or Poipet to Siem Reap and back or around the Angkor Area. They tend to not want to cover different routes to normal. I.E. you may have to find alternative transport around the temples from the taxi that brings you from Phnom Penh.

I would really suggest that you think about what you are prepared to miss and read suggested itineraries to figure out what you would like to do. I think that you are trying to do too much with no room for potenial errors or delays, which could ruin your itinerary; if you rush to try to see everything there is every possibility that you will end up seeing nothing at all.

Rachel

#5 Posted: 4/9/2007 - 06:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Transport Siem Reap to Nha Trang ... By lbeckman on 19 Jul 2007 1 2260 19 Jul 2007
Siem Reap to Thai Islands Transport ... By brea on 25 Aug 2008 2 2918 25 Aug 2008
SE Asia Trip: Hong Kong, Thailand, Siem Reap, Indonesia - itinerary and transport advice please! ... By magalaya on 4 Apr 2013 2 1446 8 Apr 2013