Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Phnom Penh to HCMC via Mekong River

• SoloGirls

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2013

I am planning on doing 2 weeks in Cambodia and a little of Vietnam. I was looking in to different ways of getting over the boarder going from Cambodia to Vietnam and I'm most interested in the boat option for something different from all the bussing. I have a few questions about this though.

1. My friends are warning me against Cambodia. I've already booked a flight there, so changing it is definitely not something I want to do given the huge fees. I checked the risk and it is showing as high mainly in Phnom Penh. I'm not actually planning on spending much time there apart from traveling through. But I was going to do a day there. Is this really a concern? I should add that I'm a female in my mid-late 20's. I do tend to get a certain level of attention from men. I don't know how else to say that without coming across as being full of myself. I'm just adding it as safety is a concern. But then again, I'm probably considered to be an amazon compared to most locals there. lol.

2. Does this trip even exist in this direction? I keep seeing it from the Vietnam border TO Phnom Penh, but not the other way around.

3. Where would I buy tickets for the boat down?

4. Is there more than one company to go with? If so, which one is best?

5. I originally wasn't planning on taking any anti-malaria pills, but I'm concerned that the risk may be higher going down the Mekong. I've read that Malarone has few side affects. I am somewhat of a cautious person when it comes to my health, but I also don't want to feel like hell the whole time I'm there. I've heard it's quite expensive too. Suggestions? I know people say to wear pants and long sleeves, but I just don't know if I can do that in the heat. I'll definitely douse myself in DEET, but I don't know about the full body suit. Errr.

6. On the Malaria pill topic, how soon would I know if I were going to have horrible side affects? Would they go away or be present the entire time I took the pills if they did occur at all?

7. Once I get to the Vietnam border, is it fairly easy to figure out how to get into HCMC?

I know it's a lot of questions. I have so many more though. I keep looking through to find my answers in the forums, which I have for many of them already.

Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 5/1/2014 - 20:06

• Advertisement

• Twerto

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

I cant comment on the current situation in cambodia but while i was there i found it a fairly laid back place but at the same time it was the only place i was at most unease about my belonging going missing. If you are worried about cambodia I would still go, as Angkor Wat and the Killing Fields are a must to visit for very different reason. Angkor Wat 2 days is enough but you could so easily loose more if you wanted. I did PP and KF in 2 days, just didnt like pp from the outset but everyone is different.

I looked into the boat between PP and HCMC and it proved to be more work than i was prepared to indulge in so took the easy route of a bus, the bus company helps you through the boarder and you dont need to change buses, only word of caution on the bus is do keep your expensive belonging close to you, it involves a small ferry ride and to this day I am still convinced that when my friends camera etc was taken from the over head shelve where you can store hand luggage, due to windows being able to slide open and little hands rummaging while other little hands distract pleading for food.

malaria is something only you can decide, out of Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia, Camboida was the only place i got bitten, guess the thai and vietmanese mossies didnt like the taste of me :P

#2 Posted: 5/1/2014 - 20:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mekong Cruise, HCMC to Phnom Penh anyone recommend? ... By suzienichols on 7 Sep 2010 5 5327 16 Sep 2010
Mekong cruise from HCMC to Phnom Penh - suggestions? ... By Sarah23 on 2 Apr 2010 3 3659 6 Apr 2010
Mekong river trip from HCMC up to Laos ... By Indoluso on 24 Dec 2009 9 4255 27 Dec 2009
River cruise Saigon to Phnom Penh/Siem Reap ... By amarie on 3 Jul 2011 1 4195 3 Jul 2011
Mekong Delta to Phnom Penh ... By travelmonk on 11 Jan 2011 0 3695 14 Jan 2011
Saigon to Phnom Penh via Mekong Riverboat ... By bigfatbackpack on 5 May 2013 1 1748 7 May 2013
MEKONG 03 DAYS + PHNOM PENH (BEN TRE - CAN THO - CHAU DOC) ... By taffyted72 on 23 Jul 2011 7 4117 18 Sep 2011
Mekong Express Bus - Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh ... By CHISEL440 on 16 Jan 2008 14 74571 12 Jan 2012
3 day Mekong Delta tour from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh ... By rocketgirl on 27 Dec 2007 1 6723 27 Dec 2007
Ferrying from Saigon to Phnom Penh on Mekong Delta.... ... By fitzlee on 7 Jan 2007 6 9210 1 Feb 2007