admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Cambodia website Khmer 440 has a provocative piece titled "7 Ways Cambodia Can Solve its Foreign Dude Problem" The whole piece is well worth a read, but in summary, the suggestions are:

1. Impose gender-based visa fees
    2. Ban foreign men from teaching Cambodian children
    3. Only give long term visas to foreigners with jobs, businesses, or spouses in Cambodia
    4. Interrogate and search single male travellers on arrival
    5. Stop giving visas on arrival to Africans
    6. Criminalise extramarital sex between foreign men and local women
    7. May I suggest the occasional civil war?

5 & 7 strike me as ridiculous, but what are your thoughts?

#1 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 20:36

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

So, only suggestions number 5 and 7 strike you as ridiculous? The comments at the bottom of the article don't much support gavinmac's novella either, but then again, maybe those critical comments are from Foreign Dudes.

The article did mention that Thailand has recently introduced cock-blocking visa measures. Any idea what those might be?

It seems that most problems like this can usually be solved by enforcing existing laws rather than creating new ones. I guess I'd like to see some metrics supporting or debunking the claims gavinmac makes about the Foreign Dude problem as well.

#2 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 21:39

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

So, stepping over the fact that this is just a hypothetical discussion on the sidelines, I don't see how the discrimination based on gender and race of 1, 2 and 4 do not strike somtam as ridiculous. That is disappointing to say the least.

Not that they would work anyway. The only sensible - and easy to implement- point is point 3.
    How could any person coming from any equal treatment country ever support such rules? And as Exacto points out the existing laws can well cover these problems. For the rest I find the topic too ridiculous for words.
    You don't ban sports matches because of a few hooligans. Nor do you ban all males or whites (all/most hooligans are white males) from attending a match.

Exacto, the problem is real and the general point of the writer is valid. Plenty of washed out white guys/loosers "fleeing" Thailand do end up in Cambodia and they are not the best sort of visitor. But I wouldn't say it's an unmanageable problem. If only the police was more effective and serious about their work. And that is also the crux with any proposal: all these new rules/laws will have to be enforced by the same police.

#3 Posted: 7/1/2014 - 02:50

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As Eastwest says, the problem is real and the general points the writer raises are valid. As I mentioned up top the piece is provocative -- but I think the piece does a solid job of highlighting an issue that seems to be, well far more of an issue, in Cambodia, than say in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia or Laos.

Yes better controls -- be they immigration, policing, teacher screening or whatever -- would be a good start and I think the above piece works well to highlight some of these shortcomings.

Cambodia has received billions of dollars in aid (in all forms and flavours and admittedly for all manner of purposes -- over US$5billion in 2000-2010 for eg) and yet kids are still at risk for basic necessities like a safe environment for schooling/care.

I don't know the author, so I don't want to push any assumptions on top of what he wrote, but at the risk of doing that anyway, I don't think he is seriously suggesting some of the measures should be adopted, but rather asking WTF is going on.

edit:
    Sorry I'm not saying this isn't a problem elsewhere - eg the teacher just arrested in Battambang was teaching in Bangkok, but the problems seems to be over represented in Cambodia.

#4 Posted: 7/1/2014 - 03:17

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

then gavinmac is using dark humor to bring attention to a valid problem.

#5 Posted: 7/1/2014 - 08:15

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan
    Total reviews: 5

Like most of gavinmac's articles there are several very funny lines, a couple of moments of insight, and then a lot of filler. The sensationalist/tabloid photos do make me laugh, I must admit, and generally speaking there is something I like about this and his other articles, but there is also something about this and them as falling flat in some way. I dunno. I'm not much of a critic.

#6 Posted: 15/1/2014 - 10:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

They are all insane.

The only "problem" that needs to be solved in the pedophile draw, and the way to solve that problem is by harshly prosecuting them when they are caught.

#7 Posted: 15/1/2014 - 11:46

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Pt 6 is ridiculous and barbaric.
    All the pts are discriminatory.

MM is correct. Sex crimes happen the world over and harsh penalties should apply to them.

All those pts do is punish the innocent.

The author sounds like a bigot and rather clueless.

#8 Posted: 15/1/2014 - 19:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Own foreign vehicle in Laos or Cambodia: how long can it stay? ... By wickychicky on 11 Mar 2014 0 327 11 Mar 2014