Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

3 week tour of Cambodia with my adventurous son wil

• stevie123

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2014

My son Wil and I are off to Cambodia in February and will be touring for 3 weeks
    This is my first plan of my trip. what do you all think?

Fly into Siam Reap from Bangkok
    Few days temple exploring and looking at floating village on Tonle Sap

overland to Stung Treng for dolphin watching and Mekong Discovery trail by bike or moped

Kratie and stay on the Mekong islands nearby at home stays hopefully

up to Ban Lung and Sen Monoram for tribal trekking and possibly doing the link road inbetween the two by hired dirtbike.

then back overland across Cambodia to Thailand and train to Bangkok.

What is the trekking and home stays like in Ban Lung?
    Can I drive between Ban Lung and Sen Monoram in February on a dirt bike/moped in one day?

What way around is the best to do this after Siem Reap? Stung Treng first or Kratie then across to Ban Lung and down to Sen Monoram?

Love any advice from people who live in Cambodia or people who have travelled through these areas please.

Many Thanks to you all were both very excited and cant wait to get going.

I did a month in Laos two years ago and that was awesome but this is the first time my son has been out to SE Asia.

Kind Regards

Steve

#1 Posted: 19/1/2014 - 05:41

• Advertisement

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan
    Total reviews: 5

Steve, how old is your son? I'll be in Ban Lung this coming weekend for my 5th consecutive trekking season there. As far as taking him trekking there goes, it really depends on his age. Sounds like you have a good itinerary, and homestays on the Mekong island should be easy to find. I have no experience with the Mekong Discovery trail company. If you're feeling like splashing out instead of doing a homestay, here' s a new place that opened on the Mekong island near Kratie: http://www.rajabori-kratie.com/articles.php?lng=en&pg=57 I did Ban Lung to Senmomorom on the back of a motorbike in 2010 and it was a lot of fun, but I've heard it's much different now. Probably serious deforestation the whole way.

#2 Posted: 19/1/2014 - 10:01

• stevie123

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2014

Hi Gregg and thanks for the feedback.

My son is 10 years old and will love the experience. What trekking do u recommend at Bun Lung?

Do u take malarials as I don't usually but was considering them for my son, but worried about the side effects?

Is Ban Lung nicer than Sen Monoram?

Steve

#3 Posted: 19/1/2014 - 15:30

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan

Hi Steve

I just wrote a long reply but somehow it didn't post. Shorter version: Ban Lung, for sure. Yeak Loam Lake is gorgeous, and the Tampuan Cemetary on the Sesan River is very cool (and involves an atmospheric 1-hour ride upriver from Voen Sai).

Stop by the Virachey National Park office for treks inside the park (though I imagine the stupendous 6-night/7-day Veal Thom Grasslands trek will be too much for him). For treks outside the park, check these guys out: http://www.trekkingcambodia.com/

Check out Gibbon Spotting too: http://www.gibbonspottingcambodia.com/ hearing gibbons in the wild is one of my favorite things about the jungles of Southeast Asia.

#4 Posted: 20/1/2014 - 04:30

• stevie123

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2014

Thanks Gregg

Are there shorter treks in the Virachey National Park?

Is Sen Monoram another Ban Lung or is it worth the travel there as well? If I dont go there I could fit in a visit to Pnomh Penh or some where else instead.

Thanks

#5 Posted: 20/1/2014 - 09:57

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan

Steve,

Yeah, I think you could say that Senmonorom is another Ban Lung, with slightly less to do (though I'm sure some will disagree). I would do Ban Lung, then Kratie on the way back down to Phnom Penh. There are shorter treks in Virachey (2 days/3 nights) though I haven't done them myself (I'm doing a 14-day trek beginning this weekend). You want to try to get Park ranger Sou if possible. He's the best.

#6 Posted: 20/1/2014 - 19:16

• stevie123

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2014

Brilliant thanks for that Gregg.

Any trekking tips or specific stuff I need to bring?

#7 Posted: 20/1/2014 - 23:16

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan

long-sleeved shirt, long pants, good mosquito repellent, warm clothes for the nights as it get chilly sleeping in a hammock (nothing but cold air blowing beneath you. sounds like you guys already have plenty of adventurous spirit, so no help needed there (and that's key)

#8 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 00:51

• brendaq

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2014

A good place to stay in Phnom Penh is the 4memories guesthouse http://www.4memoriescafefin.com/. My brother stays there a lot and I have just finished the web site for them.

#9 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 03:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
One Week Family tour of Cambodia ... By abrama on 24 Dec 2007 4 3567 27 Dec 2007
10 week grand tour - Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia... ... By HomerJSimpson on 18 Apr 2007 4 2791 20 Jun 2007