Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Best places to meet people?

• Chewy1

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2014

Hi guys,

I'm going to Cambodia in a couple of weeks and for the first time I will be travelling alone. I'm a guy in my early thirties and pretty easy going. I've been before with friends but only made it to Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville due to time restraints. This time I'm starting off in Siem Reap and heading south over a couple of weeks, hopefully ending up on one of the islands.
    Where will be the best places to meet people in Siem Reap? I'm a bit old to be staying in hostels now so I've booked a hotel room for the first few nights I'm there.

Cheers for any help,

Matt

#1 Posted: 5/2/2014 - 05:37

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Matt,

It is a bit more difficult for single guys to meet people on the road than it is for couples and single women, but not impossible, and I've had lots of luck meeting folks on the road travelling by myself. In my experience, the best place to meet people is on day trips - tours, snorkeling, etc. It is a set group and you are stuck with each other for the duration, making it easy to strike up a conversation and seek common interests. Second is on transport, particularly long-haul transport or boats. Same thing. Third is just saying hi to folks where you stay, so even at your ripe old age of 30-something you might want to stay at guesthouse-level accommodation rather than hotels.

It is also easier to meet folks when you have something to share. A map. A guidebook. A bottle of decent wine. Whatever.

Having said all that, there is something very free and exciting about travelling by yourself. Go where you want, when you want. I don't always travel solo, but I enjoy it when I do. The only slightly awkard time might be meal time, but if you take something to read or write out a few old fashioned post cards while you are waiting for your food, the time will be pleasant and productive. Good luck.

#2 Posted: 5/2/2014 - 10:43

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Bars are good places to meet people when you are new in town and know no one.

#3 Posted: 5/2/2014 - 11:06

• Alex222

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2014

Cambodia is famous for the ancient angkor wat and the brutal history of the country many places in Cambodia is very popular in the tourist which is also plus point in the economy of life...

#4 Posted: 2/4/2014 - 03:13

• clairey24

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2014

Hi Matt
    When will you be travelling to Cambodia, I have never been before and am a solo traveller in my early thirties.
    Claire

#5 Posted: 4/4/2014 - 17:03

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

Head to Laundry Bar in Siem Reap (2 min walk from Pub Street, next to Old Market) and put your name down for a free game of pool! Lots of interesting people (many foreigners living in SR, some tourists, and some locals), friendly staff and the best music.

#6 Posted: 5/4/2014 - 06:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I did find it interesting that the assumption here was that the people he is seeking to meet are not indigenous. He wasn't specific, although he alluded to same with the hostels comment. Am I the only member of travelfish who actively wants to meet indigenous people and does not make any effort to meet or socialize with non-indigenous persons? I'm beginning to think so.

#7 Posted: 5/4/2014 - 07:29

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

You live there. Most travellers dont care about the locals.

#8 Posted: 6/4/2014 - 07:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Jan/Feb 2013 some People to Meet? ... By Tigl on 13 Oct 2012 2 1799 1 Nov 2012
Meet people in Siem Reap. ... By Lorena86 on 30 Mar 2014 9 1522 26 Apr 2014
Solo traveler looking for people to meet up with/ travel with- July 2013 ... By mlkittleson on 6 May 2013 4 1313 31 May 2013
Solo female looking to meet people in Thailand starting Bangkok 1st Nov ... By crazyblondechick on 24 Jul 2011 8 4031 10 Oct 2011
Good places to meet fellow travellers ... By Gordon_M on 11 Jul 2006 4 3247 18 Jul 2006
Best places/activities to meet others when in your 30s and away from the party scene? ... By Dech on 10 May 2014 33 1671 19 May 2014
High risk places people should avoid ... By MADMAC on 1 Aug 2009 3 3111 1 Aug 2009
Yoga, ayurveda, vipassana, permaculture - looking for places and people ... By gajasa on 22 Jun 2014 5 714 29 Jul 2014