Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Travelling around Cambodia

• Yorkshire_K-
    iwi

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2014

We are currently in Cambodia and have been to Siem Reap and are now in Battambang. We would like to see as much of Cambodia as possible, including the Ratanikiri region. Which would be the best way around the country to do this so we finish somewhere where we could get to the south of Vietnam? Time is not a problem.

#1 Posted: 21/3/2014 - 20:18

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

For a greatest hits of Cambodia, starting in Battambang, something like the following?

Battambang -> Sisophon -> Banteay Chhmar (ruins)
    BC -> Anlong Veng (Pol Pot's out hideout)
    AV -> Siem Reap -> Kompong Thom (ruins)
    KT -> Phnom Penh (hang out, lots to do)
    PP -> Kompong Cham (temples, ruins etc)
    KC -> Sen Monorom (trekking, elephants)
    SM -> Banlung (this is by motorbike, expect to pay $60ish per person)
    BL -> Stung Treng (river stuff)
    ST -> Kratie (dolphins)
    KT -> Phnom Penh
    PP -> Sihanoukville (beaches/islands)
    SHV -> Kampot (hang out, river, eat ribs)
    KMP - Kep (beach, hang out)
    Kep -> Cross to Ha Tien in Vietnam.

The only parts you miss in the above are Koh Kong and Pursat - I'd want at least six weeks to do the above ;-)

Have fun!

#2 Posted: 21/3/2014 - 21:34

• Yorkshire_K-
    iwi

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2014

Thank you so much Somtam, very helpful information. I shall now start planning!

#3 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 04:08

• Nisseyaklom

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2007

I suggest you finish in Rattanakiri, cross the border into Vietnam and there is cheap flights to HCM from Pleikku (2 hrs from Banlung )

The road from Sen Monorom to Banlung is good now and minibuses do the 4 hr journey.

#4 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 20:01

• Yorkshire_K-
    iwi

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2014

Thanks Nisseyaklom
    Have you any idea how often the minibuses are and the cost of these?

#5 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 20:09

• Nisseyaklom

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2007

Minibus depart from Banlung every morning 08h00, don't know the cost but would guess around $10,00 pp. Bus goes all the way to Pleikku, no change of bus at border.
    Pleikku is worth a night or two, nice town in the highlands, I always stay at HAGL hotel, 4 star luxury at 2 star prices.

#6 Posted: 23/3/2014 - 00:16

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan
    Total reviews: 5

I just blogged about the Northeast -all the places that I usually go to outside of Virachey: http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Cambodia/East/Banlung/blog-834789.html

#7 Posted: 23/3/2014 - 06:15

• Yorkshire_K-
    iwi

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2014

Thanks everyone for all your information (and sorry for the late reply, was enjoying Banteay Chhmar, without any internet connections).
    Greg - great blog, will check out the rest of yours when I have a bit more time.
    Am wanting to do most of what you all have suggested but decided to do it a bit differently. From Sen Monorom we are going to go back to PP then down to Kempot, Kep and a couple of Islands before going over to Vietnam. Travelling South to North we hope to skip over to Cambodia again to visit the regions we missed.
    Thanks again for the suggestions, we're having a fantastic time in Cambodia :-)

#8 Posted: 29/3/2014 - 10:55

• Alex222

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2014

Around $130 per month you will do fine for Phnom Penh area.But if you are gonna be having fancy food in every mornings and evenings its also very costly mean $10 to $15..

#9 Posted: 2/4/2014 - 02:47

• redpirate427

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2014

Hi Alex222,

I've been trawling Travelfish for the cost of living in Siem Reap, or Cambodia in general, so my question is, what do you mean by $130 a month in PP? Do you refer to budget for food? If so, is that per person or will it suffice for a couple?

#10 Posted: 15/7/2014 - 07:02

• Advertisement

• enrgz

Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2014

@somtam2000 That is a very useful itinerary. Would you recommend that trip by motorbike? I am planning on a long trip through SE Asia, and want to do the entire thing by motorbike. I will be arriving in mid October, with no definite end date for the trip.

I will start a separate thread, so I don't highjack this one. But I did want to get an opinion on taking that trip by motorbike.

#11 Posted: 7/8/2014 - 13:00

• tanvir71

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2014

Siem reap is a popular resort town and it is the capital city of Siem reap Province in northwestern Cambodia. Siem reap is being a popular tourist destination today. It is really a beautiful place.

#12 Posted: 28/8/2014 - 15:38

• abbiewright-

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2014
    Location Germany

This Post is very useful for me as I was already searching for details on this as I am planning my next trip soon towards Siem Reap, Cambodia. So I was planning things before so that I don't miss nice locations there as I missed few in my last trip to Croatia :(

I went to Croatia (Biograd) nice place for sailing but was not able to visit anymore places due to lack of time and my plan. But still I would thank my yacht provider adriatic challenge for making my trip remarkable with good sight-seeings :)

#13 Posted: 3/9/2014 - 04:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.