Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Travelling around Cambodia

Posted by Yorkshire_Kiwi on 21/3/2014 at 20:18

We are currently in Cambodia and have been to Siem Reap and are now in Battambang. We would like to see as much of Cambodia as possible, including the Ratanikiri region. Which would be the best way around the country to do this so we finish somewhere where we could get to the south of Vietnam? Time is not a problem.

#1 Yorkshire_Kiwi has been a member since 8/2/2014. Posts: 31

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/3/2014 at 21:34 admin

For a greatest hits of Cambodia, starting in Battambang, something like the following?

Battambang -> Sisophon -> Banteay Chhmar (ruins)
BC -> Anlong Veng (Pol Pot's out hideout)
AV -> Siem Reap -> Kompong Thom (ruins)
KT -> Phnom Penh (hang out, lots to do)
PP -> Kompong Cham (temples, ruins etc)
KC -> Sen Monorom (trekking, elephants)
SM -> Banlung (this is by motorbike, expect to pay $60ish per person)
BL -> Stung Treng (river stuff)
ST -> Kratie (dolphins)
KT -> Phnom Penh
PP -> Sihanoukville (beaches/islands)
SHV -> Kampot (hang out, river, eat ribs)
KMP - Kep (beach, hang out)
Kep -> Cross to Ha Tien in Vietnam.

The only parts you miss in the above are Koh Kong and Pursat - I'd want at least six weeks to do the above ;-)

Have fun!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,425
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Yorkshire_Kiwi on 22/3/2014 at 04:08

Thank you so much Somtam, very helpful information. I shall now start planning!

#3 Yorkshire_Kiwi has been a member since 8/2/2014. Posts: 31

Posted by Nisseyaklom on 22/3/2014 at 20:01

I suggest you finish in Rattanakiri, cross the border into Vietnam and there is cheap flights to HCM from Pleikku (2 hrs from Banlung )

The road from Sen Monorom to Banlung is good now and minibuses do the 4 hr journey.

#4 Nisseyaklom has been a member since 2/12/2007. Posts: 40
 Website 

Posted by Yorkshire_Kiwi on 22/3/2014 at 20:09

Thanks Nisseyaklom
Have you any idea how often the minibuses are and the cost of these?

#5 Yorkshire_Kiwi has been a member since 8/2/2014. Posts: 31

Posted by Nisseyaklom on 23/3/2014 at 00:16

Minibus depart from Banlung every morning 08h00, don't know the cost but would guess around $10,00 pp. Bus goes all the way to Pleikku, no change of bus at border.
Pleikku is worth a night or two, nice town in the highlands, I always stay at HAGL hotel, 4 star luxury at 2 star prices.

#6 Nisseyaklom has been a member since 2/12/2007. Posts: 40
 Website 

Posted by gregmccann1 on 23/3/2014 at 06:15

I just blogged about the Northeast -all the places that I usually go to outside of Virachey: http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Cambodia/East/Banlung/blog-834789.html

#7 gregmccann1 has been a member since 28/10/2009. Location: Taiwan. Posts: 182
 Website 

Posted by Yorkshire_Kiwi on 29/3/2014 at 10:55

Thanks everyone for all your information (and sorry for the late reply, was enjoying Banteay Chhmar, without any internet connections).
Greg - great blog, will check out the rest of yours when I have a bit more time.
Am wanting to do most of what you all have suggested but decided to do it a bit differently. From Sen Monorom we are going to go back to PP then down to Kempot, Kep and a couple of Islands before going over to Vietnam. Travelling South to North we hope to skip over to Cambodia again to visit the regions we missed.
Thanks again for the suggestions, we're having a fantastic time in Cambodia :-)

#8 Yorkshire_Kiwi has been a member since 8/2/2014. Posts: 31

Posted by Alex222 on 2/4/2014 at 02:47

Around $130 per month you will do fine for Phnom Penh area.But if you are gonna be having fancy food in every mornings and evenings its also very costly mean $10 to $15..

#9 Alex222 has been a member since 1/4/2014. Posts: 13

Posted by redpirate427 on 15/7/2014 at 07:02

Hi Alex222,

I've been trawling Travelfish for the cost of living in Siem Reap, or Cambodia in general, so my question is, what do you mean by $130 a month in PP? Do you refer to budget for food? If so, is that per person or will it suffice for a couple?

#10 redpirate427 has been a member since 2/6/2014. Posts: 11

Posted by enrgz on 7/8/2014 at 13:00

@somtam2000 That is a very useful itinerary. Would you recommend that trip by motorbike? I am planning on a long trip through SE Asia, and want to do the entire thing by motorbike. I will be arriving in mid October, with no definite end date for the trip.

I will start a separate thread, so I don't highjack this one. But I did want to get an opinion on taking that trip by motorbike.

#11 enrgz has been a member since 7/8/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by tanvir71 on 28/8/2014 at 15:38

Siem reap is a popular resort town and it is the capital city of Siem reap Province in northwestern Cambodia. Siem reap is being a popular tourist destination today. It is really a beautiful place.

#12 tanvir71 has been a member since 28/8/2014. Posts: 4

Posted by abbiewright01 on 3/9/2014 at 04:08

This Post is very useful for me as I was already searching for details on this as I am planning my next trip soon towards Siem Reap, Cambodia. So I was planning things before so that I don't miss nice locations there as I missed few in my last trip to Croatia :(

I went to Croatia (Biograd) nice place for sailing but was not able to visit anymore places due to lack of time and my plan. But still I would thank my yacht provider adriatic challenge for making my trip remarkable with good sight-seeings :)

#13 abbiewright01 has been a member since 3/9/2014. Location: Germany. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.