Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Malaria in Cambodia

• heytoki

Joined Travelfish
    20th March, 2014

Hi,

Probably there is already a post talking about Malaria in Cambodia, however i couldnt find anything.

I am going to Cambodia in two weeks to spend 18 days. I have been just advised my doctor that all throughout Cambodia there is risk of Malaria (apart from Phon Phem and Angkor).

I know that it is my decisison to take the tablets or not but, is Cambodia a really high risk country for Malaria? In two weeks i will be going from Phon Phem to Koh Rong and then Siemp Reap.

Would you take the tablets?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 2/4/2014 - 04:05

• Advertisement

• qifitness

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2012

Do you mean "Would I take the advice of my doctor?"
    Or
    "Is there anyone here better qualified than my doctor to advise me?"

#2 Posted: 2/4/2014 - 04:19

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

99% of doctors have never been there and tell u based on website links.

Btw gps are not experts in diseases like malaria.

Tablets can make u sick
    Malaria makes u sick

For a short trip.i wouldnt take them. Tablets are easy to get in sea.

#3 Posted: 2/4/2014 - 04:40

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Lonely planet does a good write up on malaria in cambodia

2 sec google search

#4 Posted: 2/4/2014 - 04:49

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

It all depends on where you go - you only need one bite from an infected mosquito personally I use doxycyline which I buy in Thailand for peanuts as I spend a lot of time near the jungle. Most of the cities certainly no need

#5 Posted: 2/4/2014 - 05:24

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Doxy treats acne and other bacteria and has been linked to increased suicide numbers.

#6 Posted: 2/4/2014 - 08:25

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

yes but it is also one of the drugs recommended for cambodia against malaria

#7 Posted: 3/4/2014 - 05:22

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Well yes but for short touristy trips there is no.need for malaria tablets. Better to cover up. Dengue is a bigger.problem when there is no treatment.

#8 Posted: 3/4/2014 - 09:14

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Travelfish published an article on Malaria in Cambodia back in 2012:
    http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/cambodia/2012/01/26/is-malaria-a-risk-for-travellers-to-cambodia/

If you need/want more info, this CDC page is a good resource - it covers how much risk there is to tourists:
    http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/country_table/c.html

Cambodia is not a high-risk destination for Malaria, but it's not zero risk either. Some tourists will take pills, but plenty won't. I'm afraid there's no "right" answer as you have to decide what's best for you, based upon where you're traveling and what you'll be doing there (camping in the jungle, for example, carries more risk than sleeping in a hotel room or guesthouse with screens on the windows and aircon or a mosquito net).

If you can't make up your mind in consultation with your GP, then you might want to talk to a reputable travel doctor (I say reputable, rather than one of the ones that recommend you have everything because they sell you everything).

Good luck, and have fun

#9 Posted: 3/4/2014 - 12:50

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

If you aren't planning on spending extended periods of time in the jungle or in very poor rural areas then I wouldn't bother. I have never met a foreigner living in SE Asia who recommends anti-malarials for regular tourism. Dengue fever is an actual, serious risk but it doesn't receive much attention because there are no pills that can be sold to you to protect against it.

Cover up with long sleeves and trousers at night and use a spray. I like lemon eucalyptus or citronella products - they're not as poisonous as DEET and smell nice!

#10 Posted: 5/4/2014 - 06:31

• Advertisement

• ThaiStick

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2013

I recently spent nine days in Banteay Chmar Village, Banteay Meanchey Province. A very rural and jungly area. During those nine days I was bitten by mosquitoes numerous times. I did not become sick.

#11 Posted: 23/4/2014 - 04:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.