Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

What to do in the south?

• Yorkshire_K-
    iwi

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2014

We're staying in Sihanoukville for 5 nights over the New Year then have 9 days before we go over the border to Vietnam. Could anyone suggest the best places to visit for this amount of time? We're wanting to see Kampot and Kep but is there enough to keep us occupied there?

#1 Posted: 10/4/2014 - 20:57

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I easily spent four nights in Kampot just renting motorbikes and exploring the region, a river cruise and just catching sunsets. If you stay at the places on north of town on the west bank of the river you can just chill out there for a couple days. I found Kampot my favorite destination in Cambodia.

I'd say four nights in Kampot, a night in Kep and then a few nights on the island (Rabbit?) that I've heard great things about. That isn't even getting far afield, you could probably wrangle up some good recommendation in Kampot for something that is off the usual track if you have 9 days.

#2 Posted: 11/4/2014 - 00:13

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I don't think you need to overnight in Kep, day trips from Kampot (on a motorbike) will suffice, especially to pick up a fresh seafood lunch.

You could also go into Phomh Phenh instead of going to an island. If you have 5 days in Snookville you may have enough of the sea and beaches at that point.

Phomh Phenh - 4/5 nights
    Kampot (with side trips to Kep) - 4/5 nights

In whatever order suits best for crossing into Vietnam.

That gives you more than enough time to relax and soak up some atmosphere.

#3 Posted: 11/4/2014 - 04:24

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Whilst you can easily visit Kep for the day from Kampot, there are a few distractions there worth considering, and some lovely places to stay. Just working on updated information for Kep, but here's a sneak preview!

If you're into nature, the relatively easy treks around the National Park make for an enjoyable day, and you'll have earned that evening beer.

There's a new Oceanarium at the Rabbit Island/Koh Tonsay pier and a butterfly farm up towards Jasmine Valley Eco Resort, which provide a bit of distraction. Rabbit Island itself makes a pleasant day trip, or overnight if you don't mind basic accommodation.

The Sailing Club has Hobie cats, kayaks and windsurf boards for hire. It's also a beautiful place for a sunset cocktail or dinner ...

Angkoul beach, about a 25km ride out of Kep, is a fun day trip with the reward of a beautiful quiet beach. If you want a bit of swimming pool relaxing, Kep Lodge, The Veranda, Vanna Hill Resort and Spring Valley Resort are all good bets.

For Kampot, a slow pace is part of the fun, but there's plenty to do, especially if you like caves, climbing, kayaking, river swimming, stand-up paddle boarding, sunset cruises and exploring the countryside on a motorbike or by tuk tuk. Not forgetting Bokor Mountain with its abandoned hill station buildings and small waterfalls and the 'Secret Lake'.

Nine days is a good amount of time to be relaxed and get to know the places you're visiting a little better than you would on a whirlwind tour. Enjoy!

#4 Posted: 11/4/2014 - 07:45

• Yorkshire_K-
    iwi

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2014

Wow, thanks guys, certainly a lot more going on in Kampot and Kep than I thought and lots there that we're interested in. Just arrived from Phnom Penh so won't be going back there. Having to stay in S'Ville a couple days longer for our visa's to Vietnam (got the dates mixed up for the New Year) so will probably go for 3 days in each of the towns. Got to say it's no hassle though, found a fantastic place to stay, it's a 'school hotel' that's teaches underprivileged kids the hotel trade, 5 star service at a budget price - fantastic!
    Looking forward to exploring the region :-)

#5 Posted: 11/4/2014 - 08:43

• TerroirTrav-
    el

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 25

We loved Kampot! We stayed at the two moons, and they let us borrow bikes to explore the area, which we felt was the perfect pace for that town. We stayed for 5 nights total, biked rabbit island, ate at the Ecran movie house that also makes hand pulled noodles, just had a lovely time.

For something different, we did a farmstay near Angtasom, at the Meas Family, and that was really great. If I were in your position, I'd go a few nights to the farmstay, and a few in Kampot. The border crossing is easy, just arrange to go to Ha Tien with one of the agencies in Kampot.

#6 Posted: 21/4/2014 - 04:45

• Yorkshire_K-
    iwi

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2014

Thanks Terroir Travel
    Guess what? I am now sitting in bed at the two moons after spending an enjoyable evening at the Ecran movie house - the noodle soup and the fried dumplings are delicious!!!
    Enjoyed a day on Bokor Mountain, we hired a bike, the only way to do I think; today we rode to the pepper farm and caves.
    Off to Kep tomorrow for two nights.
    Thanks everyone for your advice - we will probably be back in Cambodia, love it!

#7 Posted: 21/4/2014 - 10:52

• TerroirTrav-
    el

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 25

Wow! You move fast (or were you already there?)

Have a great time! Where are you off to next? Phu quoc?

#8 Posted: 21/4/2014 - 16:35

• Yorkshire_K-
    iwi

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2014

Yes, we were already in Cambodia.
    Phu Quoc next for 4 nights then HCMC and the rest of Asia!
    Cheers :-)

#9 Posted: 21/4/2014 - 17:25

• TerroirTrav-
    el

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 25

Stop following us! That's pretty much what we did- phu quoc, HCMC. Then my husband had to go back for business, and I went to Dalat, nha trang, Danang, Hoi An, Hue, Phong Nha (highly recommended), Hanoi.

But that belongs on the viet-forum. hope you enjoyed Cambodia, we certainly did.

#10 Posted: 22/4/2014 - 11:03

• Advertisement

• Yorkshire_K-
    iwi

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2014

We've absolutely loved Cambodia, the people are amazing, friendly, helpful and always smiling. I doubt we could find friendlier anywhere else.
    Not sure where we're going in Vietnam, not planning ahead, but no doubt will be heading to some of where you have been. We may even catch you up one day!

#11 Posted: 23/4/2014 - 19:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.