Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Phnom Penh Airport to Hotel Options & Siem Reap to Southern Laos options

Posted by laos20140469 on 25/4/2014 at 06:29

Hello all,

New member here and first time visiting Laos and Cambodia. Will post this thread in both forums as they relate to both areas.

Pls can anyone advise best/safest/cheapest way to get from airport to hotel? I've read there is a prepay system for either taxi or tuk tuk - are these drivers quite safe to use or would I be better booking a hotel pick-up.

Also accommodation for first night or so - around £10 - £15 a night - safe and central, but not too noisy - single room?

Pls does anyone have any ilatest/current info. on crossing overland from Siem Reap into southern Laos - best/cheapest/easiest way for a single traveller? And getting visa on arrival.

Many thanks for any advice/tips.

#1 laos20140469 has been a member since 25/4/2014. Posts: 2

Posted by aydmar10 on 25/4/2014 at 15:53

Hello I think you can book for your accommodation using this site. http://www.reservationfriendly.com/ I have use that so many times and they have the cheapest hotels indeed. As far as I know they compare the booking prices of all the top travel deal services on the internet like Expedia, Hotels.com and many others for you to get the best deal.

#2 aydmar10 has been a member since 25/4/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by AbigailatPenhandInk on 29/4/2014 at 01:13 TF writer

It's very easy to get from Phnom Penh airport to the city. The journey usually takes no more than 30 minutes. There are airport tuk tuks painted cream -- the drivers generally have good English and know lots of hotel locations. You will also be approached by other friendly tuk tuk drivers who park outside the airport entrance -- they tend to be a bit cheaper. Expect to pay between $7 and $10 to get to your hotel.

You can call or hail a taxi from the airport - prices are a bit higher but they have aircon. However, you miss out on some of the sights and sensations that you get in a tuk tuk. I always pick up friends from the airport in a tuk tuk - it's a fun way to travel!

The only possible problem with riding a tuk tuk is the occasional bag/valuables snatch, but many tuk tuks these days have screens or curtains to protect your belongings from wandering hands. Remember to keep any small bags, cameras, phones etc well out of the way (under your tuk tuk seat, in your pocket or between your legs) and you should experience no problems.

There's no prepay system that I know of at Phnom Penh airport, so agree a price with the driver before you set off. Taxis tend to use meters (price is shown in US dollars).

Some hotels provide a print out with directions in Khmer or a map - these can help you to get to your hotel, but many tuk tuk drivers don't read maps. Find out the closest market or pagoda and you'll get to the neighbourhood you need pretty easily. Have the hotel's phone number handy and the driver can call them for final directions.

A hotel pick-up will likely be a tuk tuk driver, or perhaps a car if you're staying somewhere a bit fancier. They tend to cost more, but you'll be confident the driver knows where he's going!

#3 AbigailatPenhandInk has been a member since 9/11/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 179
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.