Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Phnom Penh Airport to Hotel Options & Siem Reap to Southern Laos options

• laos20140469

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2014

Hello all,

New member here and first time visiting Laos and Cambodia. Will post this thread in both forums as they relate to both areas.

Pls can anyone advise best/safest/cheapest way to get from airport to hotel? I've read there is a prepay system for either taxi or tuk tuk - are these drivers quite safe to use or would I be better booking a hotel pick-up.

Also accommodation for first night or so - around £10 - £15 a night - safe and central, but not too noisy - single room?

Pls does anyone have any ilatest/current info. on crossing overland from Siem Reap into southern Laos - best/cheapest/easiest way for a single traveller? And getting visa on arrival.

Many thanks for any advice/tips.

#1 Posted: 25/4/2014 - 06:29

• Advertisement

• aydmar10

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2014

Hello I think you can book for your accommodation using this site. http://www.reservationfriendly.com/ I have use that so many times and they have the cheapest hotels indeed. As far as I know they compare the booking prices of all the top travel deal services on the internet like Expedia, Hotels.com and many others for you to get the best deal.

#2 Posted: 25/4/2014 - 15:53

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

It's very easy to get from Phnom Penh airport to the city. The journey usually takes no more than 30 minutes. There are airport tuk tuks painted cream -- the drivers generally have good English and know lots of hotel locations. You will also be approached by other friendly tuk tuk drivers who park outside the airport entrance -- they tend to be a bit cheaper. Expect to pay between $7 and $10 to get to your hotel.

You can call or hail a taxi from the airport - prices are a bit higher but they have aircon. However, you miss out on some of the sights and sensations that you get in a tuk tuk. I always pick up friends from the airport in a tuk tuk - it's a fun way to travel!

The only possible problem with riding a tuk tuk is the occasional bag/valuables snatch, but many tuk tuks these days have screens or curtains to protect your belongings from wandering hands. Remember to keep any small bags, cameras, phones etc well out of the way (under your tuk tuk seat, in your pocket or between your legs) and you should experience no problems.

There's no prepay system that I know of at Phnom Penh airport, so agree a price with the driver before you set off. Taxis tend to use meters (price is shown in US dollars).

Some hotels provide a print out with directions in Khmer or a map - these can help you to get to your hotel, but many tuk tuk drivers don't read maps. Find out the closest market or pagoda and you'll get to the neighbourhood you need pretty easily. Have the hotel's phone number handy and the driver can call them for final directions.

A hotel pick-up will likely be a tuk tuk driver, or perhaps a car if you're staying somewhere a bit fancier. They tend to cost more, but you'll be confident the driver knows where he's going!

#3 Posted: 29/4/2014 - 01:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Siem Reap/Phno Penh to Da Lat options? ... By bagpussandalfie on 27 Jun 2010 2 5002 16 Sep 2010
any other options fr siem reap to snookyville? ... By jellyanna on 27 Apr 2008 2 2157 28 Apr 2008
Bangkok --> Siem Reap Travel Options? ... By rustythomson on 4 Nov 2013 3 742 6 Nov 2013
Moved: Travelling from Siem Reap to Hanoi -- what are my options ... By somtam2000 on 10 Jul 2006 6 27066 28 Aug 2006
cambodia to laos - phnom penh or siem reap? ... By bonbongirl on 25 May 2006 5 3878 26 May 2006
bag deposit options at Suvarnabhumi airport ... By mihaipr on 29 Oct 2010 3 1906 30 Oct 2010
Mukdahan Hotel options and Isaan Itinerary ... By stekmer on 27 Oct 2011 8 867 28 Oct 2011
Currency options for food & drink for transit passengers at Bangkok airport? ... By EdwardTrunk on 10 Jan 2014 8 963 11 Jan 2014
Midrange Hotel Options in Rattanakosin area of Bangkok ... By scomoore1 on 28 Jun 2008 1 1835 1 Jul 2008
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 1103 2 Mar 2014