Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Dengue in Cambodia

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Some guy just made a post asking what to do if he gets Dengue in Cambodia but for some reason it was deleted while I was replying. I don't feel like wasting my reply so here it is.

Wear long pants, long shirts and use mosquito spray if you are noticing mosquitos. Pay attention and ask if Dengue is epidemic at the moment and if it is be extra cautious on avoiding mosquitos. If they say it is safe at the moment still exercise caution as it is always possible.

If you come down with a high fever get to a hospital to have it checked out. The best hospital in Cambodia(and the only one that I know of being any good) is Siem Reap's Royal Angkor International Hospital. From a report I saw it isn't that cheap so make sure you have travellers insurance. If you have a high fever and haven't been to a hospital yet don't take ibuprofen or aspirin as these increase your risk of serious complications(due to thinning your blood). Paracetamol(acetominophen)/tylenol is a better choice.

If diagnosed with Dengue find a good guesthouse to stay at and plan to be there for close to a week in order to recover. You will be very tired and sore for a few days and won't feel like doing much other then sleeping. You will get a rash at some point that will drive you nuts but it is a good sign as it means you are getting better.

I had Dengue while in Laos and honestly it sucks but I knew right away I had either Dengue or Malaria as I had never had a fever that high before. Had crazy high fever for 2 days, tired and achy for another 3-4 days after that. My first symptoms hit in Muang Ngoi which was 2 full days travel to a decent hospital(Vientiane), not fun at all with a 40 degree fever... At least in Cambodia you are always at most only a day's travel from Siem Reap.

#1 Posted: 2/5/2014 - 23:28

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@Geer1 - the author reported their post twice -- so I deleted it -- assumedly right around when you were answering. I don't know why they flagged it. Some people do it occasionally.

Thanks for the answer anyways.

#2 Posted: 2/5/2014 - 23:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.