Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Is Phnom Penh worth the effort at the end of a long trip?

• baza

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2014

We are taking our 4 children from NZ on a 19 day trip starting in Vietnam going from Sapa, Halong Bay & Hanoi through Hue and Hoi an down to the Mekong Delta. We then fly across to Siem Reap (to see Angkor Wat etc) from Ho Chi Minh city before heading back to NZ.
    My husband now wants to see Phnom Penh (just for a day he says!) as well as going to Siem Reap (which we have already booked to do).
    Our children are likely to be getting tired of travelling by this point and I have read some mixed opinions on the merits of Phnom Penh on this site. Also, looking at pictures of it, I wonder how different the mix of French and traditional architecture will be in Phnom Penh when compared with Hanoi.
    In the opinion of the many seasoned travellers on this site (we have never been anywhere in Southeast Asia before), is Phnom Penh worth the extra travel time and effort for a day's visit? Thanks

#1 Posted: 2/6/2014 - 20:24

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

You don't have time, and one day is two days. You got to get there. I wouldn't even be going to Siem Reap or Saigon if I were you. For the time you have I would have stayed in Northern Vietnam or just stayed in Cambodia. Forget the kids - you're gonna be tired.

#2 Posted: 2/6/2014 - 20:46

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Yes I agree forget Phnom Phen

Find a nice hotel in Siem Reap with swimming pool and if you get tired of the temples you have somewhere nice to relax

#3 Posted: 3/6/2014 - 05:51

• Turkishpizza

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2014

I would just stay in Vietnam. Asian cities can look similar and one part of Vietnam offers enough for 19 days.

#4 Posted: 3/6/2014 - 06:29

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

i would have said the same as you turkishpizza but for the fact they have already booked to go to Siem reap AND that this is their first trip to SEA and despite what Siem Reap may be like these days the temples are still spectacular

#5 Posted: 3/6/2014 - 06:36

• Turkishpizza

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2014

I can see the kids complaining the whole way. Kids dont get temples and history.

#6 Posted: 3/6/2014 - 06:43

• cbg0927

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Echoing what others have said, that's a lot of ground to cover in 19 days. I'd personally save Cambodia for next time. But, seeing as your flight is booked to Siem Reap, I'd opt to stay there and not see Phnom Penh.

#7 Posted: 4/6/2014 - 00:22

• baza

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2014

Thank you so much to everyone for taking the time to give your opinions. It has been really helpful.

#8 Posted: 4/6/2014 - 01:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Trip recs for Phnom Penh ... By DandA on 4 Oct 2010 1 3253 14 May 2011
Phnom Penh and Siem Riep trip ... By chimik72 on 27 Apr 2007 9 3205 13 May 2007
Cycling trip: Phnom Penh - Siem Reap! ... By Lipsjochem on 6 Jul 2010 0 4293 6 Jul 2010
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 1452 2 Mar 2014