Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Advice on Cambodia itinerary

• Harry05

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2007

In february 2008 I will be travelling in Cambodia for about 3-4 weeks (after about 2 months Thailand/Laos). After Cambodia I will also visit Vietnam (maybe good to know if you want to give me some advice). I am a quite experienced traveller but it’s my first time in SE Asia so it’s always good to get some good and actual advice. I don’t care about luxury (and prefer atmosphere above that): a private, clean and basic room (with fan) will be fine for me.
    Here’s my global itinerary for Cambodia:
    Entering Cambodia from Si Phan Don (Laos) to Stung Treng (day 1), Banlung (2-3-4-5), back to Stung Treng (6), Kratie (7) in the afternoon looking for the dolphins if I haven’t seen them yet at Si Phan Don, Phnom Pehn (8-9), Battambang (10-11), Siem Reap (12-13-14-15), Phnom Pehn (16-17), Sihanoukville (18-19-20), Kampot/Bogor Hill Station (21-22), Phnom Pehn (23) and continue to Vietnam.
    Some questions about my itinerary (detailled questions will follow later):
    1. Wanna take a boat ride from Battambang to Siem Reap, is it worth the effort (I suppose it will be dry season)?
    2. If using river transport somewhere in between is there a difference doing PP-Battambang-Siem Reap-PP or taking the opposite direction?
    3. Have the get a visa for Vietnam: Heard this also can be done in Sihanoukville and the border crossing Prek Chak/Xaxia (‘Ha Tien’) crossing has opened to foreign travelers so for this I don’t need to return to PP? But I wanna do a tour in the Mekong Delta as well, can I combine this with a tour leaving PP to Ho Chi Mhin City?
    4. The route is logical? I know the places are more or less standard but are there any places which I should insert or maybe skip?

Thanks in advance for you answers,

Harry.

#1 Posted: 16/9/2007 - 01:29

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

1) Waters will be low, so expect to run aground a few times -- at least if it sinks, you'll be able to stand up! pack loads of sunscreen and laods of film -- a very pretty trip and worth the effort to do, as long as the boat isn't overloaded and you're able to sit outside.

2) No

3) yes you can get a Vn visa in Sihanoukville, and yes there have been reports that border is open, though I've not seen it open myself. Any travel agent in PP will be able to suit you up with a three/four day tour through the Delta to Sgn. Note you can also do this easily independently.

4) If anything I'd shave a day off Sihanoukville and visit Kep -- it's a good spot.

Have fun!

#2 Posted: 16/9/2007 - 09:18

• Ashe88

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2007

Hey I'll be around there at the same time! :) Actually my itinerary is very similar to yours in time distribution - except that I'm coming from Vietnam, not to Vietnam. O woah we're planning to be in PP and Battambang at the same time... :O

Anyway, I think your planning sounds good. Have fun!

#3 Posted: 6/12/2007 - 13:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.