Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Moving in from the Philippines to Cambodia

• redpirate427

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2014

Hi,

We are a childless Filipino couple in our mid-30s with location independent jobs, so we were thinking if it would be doable in the long run (or at least a few months) to live anywhere in Cambodia or neighboring countries for much cheaper than we spend now. We are used to roughing it; i.e., no A/C, no TV, no hot shower. Just clean beds, decent indoor plumbing, and proximity to cheap and healthy food. WiFi would of course be a requirement. Would it perhaps be possible to live on US$400 a month or thereabouts in Siem Reap or maybe in Hanoi - or if the situation in Bangkok becomes stable, then perhaps there - assuming we don't travel everyday (after all we need to work), and if we do, take the cheapest and most torturous route to get from A to B and only eat out at fancy restaurants when the budget allows? We are hoping to make SR our base to explore the region (Laos would have been a candidate but I get the impression that it's getting expensive and quite far from tertiary care which I might need given my overactive thyroid). We will be flying in from Manila to SR in early August to scope out the local scene, and any information before then would be much appreciated.

-Bic

#1 Posted: 5/7/2014 - 12:27

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

mabuhay. Should as such be possible BUT you have to look VERY seriously in how ASEAN rules affect longer time stays (I think that Hanoi is thus off), Most posters here are euro/OZ/US and simply do not know too much about your specific situation, as me too.
    Actually BKK/TH at the mo is VERY stable, dus to those generals and their coup (PH could benefit to suppress crime too--but then you would also need less corrupt generals)-but TH has also imposed much more stringent rules on enrty for pinoy (there is a good forum for pinoy in Thailand-easy to find on google).After only 1/1/15 it should be much more easy for you to work for locals without all the prearranged permits etc for that. And thats exactly why TH makes entry much more stringent-they expect thousands of jobless pinoy to teach english/ingrris/angkrit.
    In fact I rather doubt if all in all it would be much less expensive as in PH (have been there just 3-4 month ago and know all other countries petty well too-but as westerner)- the factor of finding cheap lodging for short term. As I guess you probably already have that in Manila or Baguio.

#2 Posted: 6/7/2014 - 07:28

• redpirate427

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2014

Hi captainbkk, thank you for this information. I've been looking around at various expat forums and backpacker blogs, and from what I gather, it's indeed not going to be any cheaper for us living there. Nonetheless, we are set to go, and perhaps we'll test the waters and see how we fare in as far as as sticking to budget is concerned. It's really getting pretty expensive living (well) in the Philippines, and that's from someone living in a second-class city in the Visayas (central Philippines).

#3 Posted: 30/7/2014 - 05:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Anyone moving on from Cambodia between now and the 13th Nov? ... By thisisabbie on 7 Nov 2011 0 1680 7 Nov 2011