Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

First time in Cambodia, travelling alone.

• dazm26

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2007

Hi guys,

Im headng from Vietnam after a tour in Cambodia and although i have a rough idea of where i want to go i need as much assistance as possible please.

I have about 2 weeks in total in Cambodia and heading for PP first for about 2/3nights (any accomodation ideas?) then i would like to head to Sihanoukville for about 3 days (accomodation/area ideas?) and then ill travel to Siem reap again for about 2 days to see the Angkor Wat. Please can you suggest where i obtain travel i.e buses to and fro these places and what else can i see in these 2 weeks. Any help guys would be great!!
    Thankyou
    daz

#1 Posted: 28/9/2007 - 22:46

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Daz,

Most of what you're looking for is already on the site, so take a look around and come back with any more questions.

Here's some links to get you started:
    Phnom Penh
    Sihanoukville
    Siem Reap

For itinerary information, take a look at the Cambodia trip planners here.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 29/9/2007 - 08:34

• kokonutman

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2007

Will be in Cambodia for about 3 weeks or so during January 2008, am wondering if Australian dollars are easy to change or is it a must to use USD?

#3 Posted: 30/9/2007 - 11:53

• kokonutman

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2007

Thinking of taking a bus from Ho Chi Minh City to Seam Reap,How long is that journey please?

#4 Posted: 30/9/2007 - 12:45

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

US cash is the defacto currency, you'll be able to exchange A$ in banks and exchange kiosks etc, but will only be able to use US$ in cafes, restaurants, guesthouses etc.

For HCM to SR, the Mekong Express Limousine Bus travels direct from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City. The bus departs Siem Reap at 07:00 and arrives in Ho Chi Minh City at 19:00. It makes a 30 minute stop in Phnom Penh. The bus ticket costs US$22.

#5 Posted: 30/9/2007 - 13:41

• dazm26

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2007

Hi Folkes, how can i go about getting from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnon Penh please?

Amyone know good hostels/guesthouses in these 2 cities

#6 Posted: 1/10/2007 - 01:44

• rakhee2108

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2007
    Total reviews: 6

HCMC - PP: there are loads of bus companies offering this journey. Just ask at your guesthouse.

#7 Posted: 3/10/2007 - 03:06

• rakhee2108

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2007
    Total reviews: 6

Hi dazm26, in our two weeks in Cambodia in June 2007, we went to the following places in this order:

- Sihanoukville - from here, we did a day trip to Ream National Park
    - Kampot - from here, we did a day trip to Bokor National Park
    - Kep (amazing seafood)
    - Siem Reap (temples of Angkor)
    - Battambang - go on a countryside tour on moto with a local guide and take a ride on the norry train. Go to the White Rose for the best fruit shakes.
    - Kompong Chhnang - take a walk by the river and meet the friendliest locals and cutest children in Cambodia. Highly recommended.
    - Kompong Cham - visit the French clocktower and bamboo bridge. From here, we did a homestay with a Cambodian family, which was a unique experience: http://rana-cambodia.blogspot.com/
    - Phnom Penh

In Cambodia, nearly all the buses pass through Phnom Penh. We used Phnom Penh Sorya bus company (near Sorya market) for all our journeys. Journeys were usually $4-5USD.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

#8 Posted: 3/10/2007 - 03:20

• dazm26

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2007

Thankyou so much guys for all your comments, its hugely appreciated, cannot wait to get out there now! Please feel free to add anymore if you can share any!

Daz

#9 Posted: 4/10/2007 - 03:17

• todmanplaa

Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2007

Kompong Cham is a great spot. I stayed in the town and it was fine, but what was great from there was the boat trips. heading up little rivers to the temple I felt like Cl. Kurtz!

#10 Posted: 4/10/2007 - 08:28

• Advertisement

• ionaman

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2007
    Total reviews: 4

dazm26

We got a bus yesterday from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnon Penh. Cost $13. One thing, there is a scam going on at the border in relation to buses. We went to get our visa at the Cambodian side after getting our exit stamp on the Vietnam side. When we came out after getting the visa the bus had gone!! It had gone up the road 2km to a restaurant. There were lots of motorbike taxis telling us the bus was gone to the restaurant and we could get a lift with them for only $2!! Being honest we got on the bike and then when we arrived at the restaurant we refused to pay the guys. I went and found the driver and he said it wasnt his problem. A big verbal row arose between the bus driver and the motorbike drivers because we refused to pay the extra money. When we mentioned the words SCAM and Corrupt rather loudly the motorbike drivers went off on their merry ways!! Not a nice situation tho

So be very careful!!

In relation to Phnon Penh we are currently staying in Her Royal Highness Hotel which has a fine room with bathtub AC etc for $15.

Hope this info helps,

Dave

#11 Posted: 9/11/2007 - 17:47

• steveatkins

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2007

Yes its easy to change Australian dollars to US dollars or even Cambodian Riel, just go to any of the main banks or many of the local money changers in the markets.

#12 Posted: 11/11/2007 - 10:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.