Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Cambodia beach sand fleas

Posted by Debbyc on 9/8/2014 at 21:34

From what I have read in many places, it makes it sound like sand fleas are a real problem on the less populated beaches of the Cambodian islands and beaches. Is that true?

I don't mind bugs here and there, and they sometime creep into your room at night. But I am adverse to rodents in my abode and not being able to enjoy an early morning or late afternoon on the beach without being slathered in DEET. Bugs and animals outside are fine.

We will be in Siem Reap, and want to spend the end of the trip on the beach. Would love a place that has jungle too. Want to swim, snorkel, fish, hike, bird watch,and the like. We prefer environmentally responsible lodging. Do we stay in Cambodia, or head for Indonesia? Or elsewhere? Only have a week, so need a place that is a day's travel from Siem Reap, and a days travel back to a hub to get to NYC.

Thank you for any suggestions.

#1 Debbyc has been a member since 9/8/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by gnomeqat on 20/8/2014 at 12:54

Hi
You can get a flight to Sihanoukville from SR and then a boat out to the islands, but I'm not sure that you can do that in 1 day because the boats usually leave in the morning. So, check that out before you leave if you don't have much time. If you take a bus it will take all day at best to get to S'ville. It's hard to move fast anywhere in Cambodia.

For the bugs, only had problems with mosquitoes, but yes you will need Deet, even in SR.
Hope that helps.

#2 gnomeqat has been a member since 20/8/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by narong on 8/9/2014 at 07:49

Me and my partner, we live in S.E. Asia and we love Cambodia.....but regrettably it's so true that we have been bitten by sand flies at Otres 2 beach so viciously that we've never experienced before on our travelling. I have to admit that we may not have protected ourselves enough, I don't remember....anyway, if you should go, be well prepared to carry loads of DEET. Don't let it stop you from going there and admire the most stunning sun downs.

#3 narong has been a member since 8/1/2005. Posts: 30

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.