Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Cambodia off the beaten track

Posted by rocketgirl on 26/10/2007 at 23:25

I'm going to be travelling around Cambodia and only have about a week and will be stopping at Phnom Penh and Siem Riep. I'm looking for somewhere to get a bit off the beaten track, ideally a homestay. Does anyone know of any?

I've found one on this site in Kampong Cham that sounds wicked, but think this might be too out of the way as I'll be entering the country from Chau Doc as part of a 2 day tour from Saigon going straight to Phnom Penh. So to go to Kampong Cham I'd have to then backtrack back to Phnom Penh to get to Siem Riep.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it!

#1 rocketgirl has been a member since 1/10/2007. Posts: 22

Posted by rakhee2108 on 29/10/2007 at 00:15

I did the Kompong Cham homestay with Don and Kheung, which was excellent. However, I don't know of any other homestay possibilities in Cambodia.

#2 rakhee2108 has been a member since 8/3/2007. Posts: 55

Posted by rocketgirl on 29/10/2007 at 17:57

How long did it take you to get from Kampong Cham to Phnom Penh? If its not too long, then I'll try to do that. I just want to see some kind of rural life in Cambodia, but am very short on time or I'd explore the East a bit more!

#3 rocketgirl has been a member since 1/10/2007. Posts: 22

Posted by rakhee2108 on 30/10/2007 at 05:02

PP to Kompong Cham takes about 2hours. The homestay family met us in Kompong Cham town and we took a tuk-tuk back with them to their house, which is 7km north of Kompong Cham. (tuk-tuk fare: $3USD)

Homestay was $12USD for one night - includes breakfast, lunch and dinner, accomodation, cart ride around local village and to local temple.

#4 rakhee2108 has been a member since 8/3/2007. Posts: 55

Posted by poofie555 on 7/11/2007 at 12:13

I would be interested in a homestay. Where can I get some further information? Thanks

#5 poofie555 has been a member since 9/9/2007. Posts: 5

Posted by steveatkins on 11/11/2007 at 10:25

Another great homestay is in the northwest of Cambodia at Banteay Chhmar. Here there is an old Angkorian temple which not many tourists get to so you will have it almost to yourself, especially in the mornings and evenings. The local community will even set up dinner for you in the temple, very atmospheric! Plus they offer ox cart rides around the area. For more info email aplcnorth@online.com.kh

Can be done is a 2 day trip from Siem Reap

#6 steveatkins has been a member since 15/6/2007. Posts: 33

Posted by rakhee2108 on 12/11/2007 at 00:23

homestay near Kompong Cham, see : http://rana-cambodia.blogspot.com/

#7 rakhee2108 has been a member since 8/3/2007. Posts: 55

Posted by rocketgirl on 12/11/2007 at 17:25

Thanks everyone, both of these options sound great!! Maybe I'll extend my time in Cambodia and do both!!

#8 rocketgirl has been a member since 1/10/2007. Posts: 22

Posted by sroksrey on 1/1/2008 at 08:25

Thank you all for the kind words. It is especially important that you go to our blogsite for an update of information. rana-cambodia.blogspot.com We are beginning to enjoy an unexpected success, do not worry it has not gone to our heads! Please if you are in Cambodia do not email, but call us at 012 68 62 40 for purposes of booking. Our farm is a working farm and I cannot always get to a computer.

happy travels,
Don and Kheang

#9 sroksrey has been a member since 1/1/2007. Posts: 6

Posted by sirhalberd on 2/1/2008 at 01:42

Something else you may or may or not know is that you can take a boat ride up to Siem Reap too!

The boat leaves from Phnom Penh and stops at little villages along the way. Part of the trip involves passing through a large lake. Catfish in this lake are about the size of sharks!

Just an another transportation option that tourists can use. I remember the trip being around 4 or 5 hours. There was a toilet on board and you could buy sticky rice when the boat stopped at villages. Bring water and something to snack on. (Always a good idea to have your own toilet paper in your bag when you are away from your hotel.)

Have fun.

#10 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295

Posted by sarahharding92 on 2/1/2008 at 12:13

I really do not reccomend Bokor Mountain Lodge in Kampot. We got an overpriced, badly equiped room with water and electric problems and no appologies for it. The western management was incompetent and the food made us both very sick. Asking about town we were not the only ones with this complaint either. Jasmine restaurant does some great food but with shabby service, and Les Mangier has some super rooms. Rikitikitavi looks very nice but we did not go in.
We also stayed at the Veranda in Kep which was lovely and well worth a visit.

#11 sarahharding92 has been a member since 1/1/2008. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.