Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

thailand-cambodia-vietnam help on my itinerary

• asikajee

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2007

hey everyone, i would be grateful if you could comment on my itinerary...

27 - 29 dec: Bangkok & around
    30 december: first thing in the morning get a cab from Bangkok to Siam Reap.
    31 december: Angkor Wat, and spend new year in Siam Reap (any suggestion where?)
    1 january: in the morning get a cab from Siam Reap to Phnom Penh. lunch in PP, then get a bus to Ho Chi Min City
    2 january: HCMC city tour
    3 january: leave to Singapore

is this itinerary doable? or will it be better and more convenient if i stay the night in Phnom Penh, then the next morning take a bus to HCMC?

thanks so much in advance...

#1 Posted: 2/11/2007 - 01:02

• Advertisement

• rocketgirl

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2007

I'm not sure this itinery is doable unless you get some flights. To save time (and a lot of hassle) I would fly from Bangkok to Siem Riep, that way you would get an extra day in Cambodia. I would spend that extra day either at the temples (they are amazing and could easily take up 2 or 3 days instead of the 1 you have planned!) or I would stay overnight in Phnom Penh to break up the journey. Phnom Penh was one of my most memorable destinations when I last went travelling as sights such as S21 and Killing Fields are shocking, but really give you insight into the country.

#2 Posted: 2/11/2007 - 01:22

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That's a very ambitious schedule!

Also some good advice from RocketGirl.

I assume you're planning on going to Saigon to pick up a cheap flight back to Sg, I'd suggest skipping Saigon totally and getting a cheap flight from Phnom Penh back (with Jetstar), otherwise you're going to be spending around half your trip on the move. It will take you the best part of a day to get from PP to Saigon, and then to have just one day there, it seems hardly worth it -- better to spend the extra time in PP and slow down a bit.

#3 Posted: 2/11/2007 - 09:58

• asikajee

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2007

thanks guys for the suggestions...!!! to think of it, it would be a useless trip if i don't enjoy it. so i did a search and found a cheap flight from Hanoi to Singapore, and incredibly cheap flight from Bangkok to Hanoi ($60 from Nok Air).

so i'm thinking to skip cambodia, and from Bangkok fly to Hanoi. that way i have 4 days in Bangkok and 5 days in Hanoi. that should be enough to enjoy the city, right? what do you think?

thanks again!

#4 Posted: 2/11/2007 - 10:56

• ionaman

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2007
    Total reviews: 4

Asikajee,

It is up to yourself but many travellers including myself only enjoyed Bangkok for the first few days and then had to leave as our heads were being wrecked, you will really enjoy Hanoi. Be sure to do the Halong Bay trip which is fantastic, there are a number of discussions on this forum about what travel agency to use as the standard of the boats seriously vary. Ocean Tours seem to be the most reliable. In general you get what you pay for.

When you arrive in Hanoi, the best way from the airport into town is the Vietnam Airlines bus for $2 (taxis are usually $10 approx) takes about 40 min if I remember correctly. But this bus left us off at the Fortuan Hotel which we stayed for 1 night and it is a dump.

Anyway hope some of this info is helpful and be careful crossing the roads in Hanoi! When you get there you will know what i mean!!

Later

#5 Posted: 9/11/2007 - 17:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
5 weeks itinerary: Thailand (?) - Lao - Vietnam - Cambodia ... By stephjac on 18 Apr 2010 2 3982 19 Apr 2010
Itinerary review - Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia ... By wanderlust2010 on 17 May 2010 0 2465 17 May 2010
Feedback on Itinerary - Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand! ... By wanderlust2010 on 14 Apr 2010 2 3431 16 Apr 2010
3 week itinerary to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam ... By jessel on 28 May 2011 5 8437 30 May 2011
35 days in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam Itinerary Help Please!!! ... By phoebestella on 27 Sep 2011 4 1791 28 Sep 2011
Some advice on Thailand-Vietnam-Cambodia itinerary please! ... By lucky13 on 13 Aug 2009 15 4258 6 Sep 2009
Yet another itinerary...6.5 weeks Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia ... By woodstock8 on 26 May 2010 4 4660 1 Jun 2010
Itinerary advice - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam ... By Tiga74 on 15 Apr 2013 17 3867 27 May 2013
5 Weeks Itinerary for Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia - Help?! ... By bootshike on 14 Jun 2012 12 5058 21 Feb 2013
Help on my 5 week itinerary: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (Vietnam) ... By snowowl on 22 Feb 2010 3 2817 23 Feb 2010