Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Visiting the Angkor temples

• jackie66

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2008

We plan to spend 3 days at the Angkor site and wondered whether it was better to use one the guides provided by the hotel, or to do it independently using our own resources.

Thanks
    Jackie

#1 Posted: 3/1/2008 - 01:19

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Jackie,

It depends what you want to get out of the ruins. They can be very handy at some of the more complex monuments like the Bayon which has loads of decorative bas reliefs they can talk you through.

You'll always be given more information with a guide than doing it just with books, but people sometimes find the language skills of the guides not quite up to scratch. So I'd suggest having a chat to your potential guide beforehand to see if you're comfortable with their English etc.

#2 Posted: 3/1/2008 - 06:23

• pluto5

Joined Travelfish
    7th November, 2006

Hi Jackie,

I have been there twice without guide.
    Guide will definitly provide u more info and they will tell you stories, in addition you have someone to take photo for you or your group. If money is not a issue for you or if you are travelling in big groups, definitly guide will be a good choice. Do find out more info getting guides there. Example their entry fees and meals if included.

For my point of view.. although i have been there twice, i find that it is alright without a guide if u prefer to find out the info from the books. Mainly from certain guide books you can roughly know what the structure is about. And from some guest house or hotel u can get free guide books. "Besides its not just a shopping mall with many different stores inside to explain."

You may like to get the 3 days ticket for angkor site @40usd (1day @20usd). Take a day visit without a guide and decide if u need a guide for the rest of the 2 days. 2 days visit just angkor site is sufficient if u are not a very very slow walker.

Please no email solicitations
    Cheers!
    Chong

#3 Posted: 3/1/2008 - 15:17

• jackie66

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2008

Thanks a lot. Thats all very useful advice.

Jackie

#4 Posted: 4/1/2008 - 00:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best way to see Angkor Temples with a 4 yr old? ... By ZPeppiatt on 15 Apr 2010 6 3150 16 Sep 2010
Cambodia, Siem Reap: Eco-toilets bound for Angkor Wat temples ... By travelfishnews on 3 Mar 2009 0 2415 3 Mar 2009
Visiting Angkor ... By BruceMoon on 11 Aug 2009 0 2537 11 Aug 2009