We're planning a trip to Cambodja in February this year but are still concerned about the saftey because guidebooks make it sound rather dangerous in the nighttime and we'll be travelling with children.
do you have any suggestions please?
#1 tuy has been a member since 21/1/2004. Posts: 13
Hi Tuy - welcome to travelfish!
Like anywhere in the world, wandering around late at night in a strange city can be dangerous. That being said, there's some simple precautions you can take.
1) If you're planning on spending a night out on the town, try to get a tuk tuk driver to stay with you the entire time -- they'll happily wait for you while you eat and drink and still be there to take you home at the end of the night.
2) Still to well touristed areas. The riverfront area in particular tends to have crowds late into the evening.
3) Don't walk home. Motos and tuk tuks are cheap and as long as the driver knows where you're going, he'll get you there in one piece.
4) Don't lose control. If you go on a 24 hour drinking spree (though as you're travelling with kids this is probably unlikely) you're more likely to get rolled -- stay in control and you'll more likely stay in control of your wallet.
5) Watch for "snatch and grab" -- this is when a motorcyclist speeds past and rips your bad off your shoulder. One of the other Travelfish staff was robbed in exactly this way -- use the bag strap over your head and where possible put your arm around the bag to hold it close to you.
6) Don't leave a bag, camera or particularly a mobile phone laying around -- it will be stolen!
Have fun -- Phnom Penh can be a fun place...really!
Oh and one more thing, if your guesthouse has a safe, use it, and don't take more cash and credit cards with you than you absolutely need. Credit cards in particular often cannot be used so are better off left in a safe back at your hotel.
When drunk dont ride motorbikes with 2 other friends sitting on the back...
.....o0O( If only someone gave me that advice when i was over there)
#4 AussieGuy83 has been a member since 31/3/2004. Posts: 2
I felt totally safe. I do not think anyone would mess with someone with kids.
#5 dawsondetarr has been a member since 5/4/2006. Posts: 3