Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

10 Day Trip - Spend all in Cambodia or bother going up to Laos??

• capulet85

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Hi,

My travel mate and i have a ten day trip lined up. We arrive in Phnom Penh Feb 1 2008 (night) and depart from Siem Reap Feb 12 2008 (morning).

I am wondering what itineraries we can do during that period. I would love to go to Laos, namely Vientiane and Luang Prabang, but don't know if there is enough time and if we'll end up rushing from place to place. Also, airplane tix from Cambodia to Laos and back seem to be pricey. I checked Lao Airlines, and it comes up to about US$750 for two people; our air tix from Singapore to Cambodia cost us US$600 for two.

Not sure what to plan. How how?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

JG.

#1 Posted: 15/1/2008 - 11:49

• Advertisement

• Husko

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2007

Hi,

Just spent 16 days in Cambodia and was rushed. I spent an extra day in SR, extra day in Kampot and also visited BB as well as extra 2 days in PP. Whirlwind tour below.

PP - 2 days
    Kampot/Bokor - 2 days
    PP - 1 day
    SR - 3 days

allow a day or 1/2 day to travel between places

If you want to have a holiday (relaxing) I would visit only PP and SR in 10 days. Allows for a couple of days doing nothing in either place.

Use this site and canbypublications.com for planning

Husko

#2 Posted: 15/1/2008 - 16:06

• mick110971

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

Hi JG
    I spend sometime in Laos late last year and enjoyed Luang prabang very much it is well worth the visit but im not sure if it would be worth it at that cost? We travelled from Thailand with Lao Airlines and i can,t recall the price but it was a lot cheaper than that we booked when we was there so not sure if that had a effect on cost.
    Vientiene is all right if you are passing through but wouldn,t make a special trip there but Luang Prabang i would.
    cheers
    Mick

#3 Posted: 16/1/2008 - 11:15

• capulet85

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Thanks Husko and Mick, for your suggestions - definitely food for thought! :o)

JG.

#4 Posted: 16/1/2008 - 12:11

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Hi,I would like to visit Preah vihar from the Cambodian side in February.I have been there before coming from Thailand and think it is one of the most impressive temple sites I have seen.Can anybody help me on the best way/method to get there.Maybe I can hire a Motorbike nearby? Also does anyone have experience of the road from Ban Lung to Sen Monorom, again would like to bike it. Thanks in advance, Ian

#5 Posted: 16/1/2008 - 21:00

• capulet85

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Hi all again,

I originally posted about whether to spend all 10 days in Cambodia, or bother going up to Laos.

Assuming i spend all 10 days in Cambodia, aside from Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, what other places would be good to go to? The coast, or to the northern part of Cambodia? And any recommended places to stay or things to do in particular?

Since we arrive in Phnom Penh, i'm thinking maybe take a side trip or two from there, then go back, and take a ferry up to Siem Reap. And if there's time, take a side trip from there (eg Battambang? Worth it?). Otherwise, probably just spend about 4 days in Siem Reap alone.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

JG.

#6 Posted: 17/1/2008 - 09:50

• JoHe59

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2006

Hi JG,
    It's a pity that you arrive in PP and depart from SR. Otherwise you could go to Sihanoukville, Kampot and/or Kep (coast) at the end of your trip, like I did. But you can do it, if you don't (want to) stay many days in PP. Visiting Angkor is very exhausting (but oh so beautiful), so 3 days (maybe only 2) will be more than enough. Don't forget to go on a day trip to the Ton Le Sap lake with the fishing and floating villages (but NOT Chnong Keas). I booked my day trip at the Two Dragons Guesthouse, where I stayed (check out the reviews on Travel Fish). But it's not necessary to stay there to book the day trip with them. Of course it's cheaper if you get a couple of other people to go with you on the same trip. About the trip from PP to SR: I took the bus from SR to PP, because I heard that the ferry isn't the most comfortable/best way to travel. And if you do the day trip like I mentioned before, you'll see the lake and the floating villages in a more relaxing (slower) way.
    Enjoy your visit to Cambodia.

#7 Posted: 17/1/2008 - 20:21

• JoHe59

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2006

Hi Ian (sayadian),
    I think it would be better if you start a new message with your question about Preah Vihar. Put that name in the title and you'll get an answer sooner than in this message.
    Greetings,
    JoHe

#8 Posted: 17/1/2008 - 20:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.