Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

taxis between siem reap and PP

• worthyquest

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2008

my friend and i have under a week in cambodia, so we are trying to balance maximizing our time with not blowing our budget. we considering taking a flight either to or from siem reap from PP, but wonder if we should take a taxi instead.

can the taxi really make it in four hours compared to six for a bus? what are the current prices?

(anyone want to share a taxi going from PP to siem reap the morning of feb 9 or the other way the afternoon of feb 12?)

#1 Posted: 22/1/2008 - 13:10

• Advertisement

• annu75

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007
    Location United States

i took a taxi from battambang to kep, with a short stop in phnom penh and it took us 3 hours from battamang to phnom penh, so i would say from siem reap to phnom you'll have to calculate 6hours. the road from siem reap to halfway to battambang really sucks, it's just a dirtroad...but from then on it's nice and smooth. and it will cost you about 90bucks by a private taxi. by the way the trip by bus is definitely a lot longer than 6hours...and the bus will make sure to cover your luggage in red sand from bottom to top for sure...

you could also take a the big boat on the tonle sap if you like that stinky water...

good luck, the best is probably to find someone to share a taxi with.

#2 Posted: 2/2/2008 - 12:59

• TonyL

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2006

Your best bet is to book on a Mekong Express bus either way. In PP the office is located at the north end of Sissowath Quay - any moto driver will know where it is. In SR it is in the centre of town, just ask at your guest house for directions. Cost last year was about $US 5 one way but that included a snack and small bottle of water. I took only four and a half hours SR to PP and my guess is that a taxi would have taken longer.A bus has "right of weight!!! " on the road !. To fly you would pay a lot more, need to get to the airport a couple of hours before the flight to check in, then get from the airport to your guest house. No saving of time.

TonyL

#3 Posted: 3/2/2008 - 10:00

• shally

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

i went there in september 2007.
    from poi pet to siem reap, a taxi costed 60 usd (could strike a bargain for 55 usd) and the trip took only three hours. the dirtroad certainly sucks and best luck the rain didnt pour down till the taxi drew pretty close town. but the back-rattling bumpiness was only exciting if anything.
    i wouldnt recommend the bus. a swiss gentleman i met later in thailand told me it was unreasonably slow so as to get to siem reap late enough in the evening. it stopped at a hotel far away from the town and refused to give the backpacks back if the passengers refused to check in. anyway, if anyone has different opinions, please share.

sorry, i made a mistake. i thought the pp stood for poi pet, the border town across from thailand.
    from seam reap to the capital pp, the bus took only four hours and costed 3.75 usd or 4 usd as far as i know, depending on what travel agency. but the road is fine.

#4 Posted: 4/2/2008 - 15:17

• shally

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

i went there in september 2007.
    from poi pet to siem reap, a taxi costed 60 usd (could strike a bargain for 55 usd) and the trip took only three hours. the dirtroad certainly sucks and best luck the rain didnt pour down till the taxi drew pretty close town. but the back-rattling bumpiness was only exciting if anything.
    i wouldnt recommend the bus. a swiss gentleman i met later in thailand told me it was unreasonably slow so as to get to siem reap late enough in the evening. it stopped at a hotel far away from the town and refused to give the backpacks back if the passengers refused to check in. anyway, if anyone has different opinions, please share.

sorry, i made a mistake. i thought the pp stood for poi pet, the border town across from thailand.
    from seam reap to the capital pp, the bus took only four hours and costed 3.75 usd or 4 usd as far as i know, depending on what travel agency. but the road is fine.

#5 Posted: 4/2/2008 - 15:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.