Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Battambang- what's it all about?

• spy

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 8

Hi, I am hoping to spend a couple of days in Battambang as part of my trip to Cambodia and wonder if any travelfishers have any hot tips for places to go, things to see, places to stay or places to eat?

I would like to see some of the countryside so any wee trips around Battambang?

#1 Posted: 30/1/2008 - 06:15

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Have you seen our coverage on Bbang? There's lots of scope for trips into the surrounds and the town has no shortage of enterprising moto drivers who can cart you all over the place.

#2 Posted: 30/1/2008 - 14:09

• spy

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2007

Thanks Sontam, as always lots of good information on the travelfish guides.

There is more than enough on the guide to keep us busy but I was just getting excited about this leg of our trip and was wondering if anyone had some advice on great food, places to stay or fun things to do in Battambang and around.

#3 Posted: 30/1/2008 - 20:05

• annu75

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007
    Location United States

let me tell you one thing, battambang itself has absolutely nothing, besides of cambodia's dirt, there is this white rose cafe, which really has probably the best fruit shake you can have in the country. (i read this in lonely planet shoestring guide). i know that there are a couple of sights outside of the city, but as said the city itself is a big nothing! old colonial style houses that you can barely recognize because they are that run down...save the day and go to kep to relax a bit... have fun and good luck

#4 Posted: 1/2/2008 - 07:15

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

Exploring the countryside around Battambang with a good motoguide cannot be beat, one of the highlights of our time in Cambodia: temple ruins, all manner of interesting village trades in action (brick making, mushroom cultivation, rice paper, rice flour, etc...) nori rides, friendly folks....all very visually stunning, especially at the end of the rainy season

#5 Posted: 2/2/2008 - 02:40

• spy

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2007

thanks folks, I appreciate the responses....no matter how divergent. I am a landscape advisor back home so I love countryside and all the trades that go with it. I appreciate that there is no single big attractions at Battambang but for me that is part of its appeal. So I guess I will suffer the dirt and follow the advice to get out and about and see some local sights!

#6 Posted: 27/2/2008 - 07:30

• kristinholdo

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2007

the boat trip from battambang to siem reap can be a great experience... depending on the season the trip can be quite long (and sometimes the boat gets stuck), but the views you have of floating villages and stilt villages and mangrowe forests is really really beautiful, and i would call that an attraction itself. based on comments from our guests, this is one of the nicests tris you can take in cambodia (as in getting you from a-b)

#7 Posted: 9/3/2008 - 15:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.