Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Bokor Hill Station

• Millydane

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2008

Does anyone know if it is Possible to go up Bokor hill? We keep hearing different things about the closing road up.
    Also any recent recomendations for Hotel in Kampot town? Something nice.

#1 Posted: 2/3/2008 - 09:45

• Advertisement

• dancingroads

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2006

yes and no.. we were down there last week and although other people had been allowed in the day before ($20 per person 'fee'), our group was not allowed.. locals said that the big boss (Sokkong)was in town and he'd told the rangers to stop allowing people in, so really it's anybody's guess, you may just have to wait and see when you get there.

Nice places to stay are rikitikitavi and bokor mountain lodge, both on the riverside

#2 Posted: 2/3/2008 - 15:25

• fish

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2008
    Location Netherlands

You should take the Rikitikitavi lodge.
    We stayed there last January. The Dutch owner can get you in touch with a young taxidriver who will take you up Bokor Hill.
    It takes 2 hours to get to the top but it's worth it.
    You can also book a guided tour but than you have to sit in an open pickup wich is not very comfortable.

#3 Posted: 4/3/2008 - 01:33

• Millydane

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2008

Thanks for the knowlege. Will try when we get there and see Rangers attitude! Rikitikitavi full so staying at Bokor Lodge-will update. Is Kep or S-ville better for a last week on the Beach? Thank again! Milly.

#4 Posted: 7/3/2008 - 23:35

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sihanoukville has the better beaches, but I prefer Kep for it's laidback feel.

#5 Posted: 8/3/2008 - 06:31

• kristinholdo

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2007

Beaches in Sihanoukville are nicer than Kep...cannot be compared. But Kep is less touristy, and you can go out to the island nearby which is very nice.. Blisfull guesthouse is a good budget option in Kampot. Cheap, and friendly staff.. They can help you arrange Bokor Mountain trisp, if you are allowed to enter.. Apparently Khmer New year will be the last time open for tourists..

#6 Posted: 9/3/2008 - 15:02

• rakhee2108

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2007
    Total reviews: 6

Blissful GH is nice - cheap. The beaches of Kep were not very nice but the town is less touristy and more laid back. But for nice beaches, def go to Sihanoukville. My favourite beach was Ochheuteal Beach, which was beautiful. Also, from Sihanoukville, we made a day trip to Ream National Park, which took you to a small local village and deserted beach - recommended if you get bored of the beach!

#7 Posted: 9/3/2008 - 15:10

• Ashe88

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2007

We tried to go to Bokor at the end of FEB and we were told it was shut because a Japanese conglomerate bought it and then shut down public entry, we were very disappointed! I wasn't such a fan of Sihanoukville because it was so touristy and I hated the sight of the flabby white men taking advantage of local trade... Kep kicked its butt

#8 Posted: 11/3/2008 - 18:24

• jontymcfaul

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2008

You can go up at the moment. We went up with SokLim tours orgainised by our hotel. Cost 25usd and 5usd to get in and included a river cruise.
    Easily the best place to stay is Rikitikitavi and it also has the best food-however the english owner told us of the apparently famed ribs at hte Rusty Keyhole next door and they were fantastic also.
    Bokor Mountain Lodge has seen better days and is wildly overpriced, but the Little Garden Bar seems to be a good alternative if Rikitikitavi is full.
    Have to aggree with Ashe88 about Sihanoukville, but tthere were some good bits.

#9 Posted: 4/4/2008 - 21:14

• Jacster

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2006

I went up over Khmer New Year. Orchid Tours, I think. The cost was 20 USD, including entry fee. We travelled in the back of a pick up which was great fun over KNY, as we entered water battles with passing locals. It's going to change soon, so go visit if you can.

#10 Posted: 5/5/2008 - 20:06

• Advertisement

• Ruthyp

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2008

Myself and friends went up Bokor in Nov 08. It was an organised tour, but everyone we spoke to said no one was taking people up independently of the rangers. I think this is because the NGO that used to fund the rangers has pulled out of the programme at Bokor since the national park was sold but that’s just speculation.

The day trip cost $40, we were picked up at 8am from our guest house and driven to the ranger station at the foot of Bokor. From there we switched into the ranger vehicles, 6 people on the back 3 in the cab. The journey up was pretty rough as work has started to build a new road. The ground is really churned up where the road has been widened or culverts have been put in so not good if you suffer from a bad back or travel sickness as my other half found out. I thought it was worth it for the amazing views and to discover a bit more about Cambodia’s affluent past and the history of the conflict that decimated the country. We were dropped off at the church and meandered our way around the various buildings, stopping for lunch at the ranger station on the plateau. We then drove to the falls, but had to walk part of the way as the bridges couldn’t take the vehicles. A relief for my other half! We then made our way down and were back in Kampot by 4pm.

Friends arrange a trek up Bokor, leaving just help an hour before us and setting off on foot from the ranger station at the foot of the hills. We passed them around 3pm and they’d only just had lunch at the kings palace. My friend who’s an experienced walker felt she could have gone a lot faster but her companions were struggle to keep up with her. They stayed the night at the Ranger Station at the top and would recommend taking sleeping back liners or something as the beds were pretty grotty. They then came down the next day and all agreed was quite an experience, hanging off vines as they scrabbled down almost vertical inclines!

I wanted do the trip over two days staying with my friends over night but was told it would cost me $60 as they would have to keep a space free in the truck for me the next day.

So it was worth it but trips seem to be a bit erratic, as the tour leader couldn't guarantee that there would be trucks going up every day.

#11 Posted: 5/12/2008 - 03:10

• Seasister

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009

Hi

I wonder if people can advise. We're coming to Cambodia and spending a week in around Sihanoukville. We want a nice beach experience - we've been told Cloud9 bungalows are nice but is the beach really busy and noisy and touristy? We've also been told Otres beach is nice, but there's no electricity at night?

Feedback on best beach experiences would be really appreciated!

Thanks

R

#12 Posted: 28/11/2009 - 18:08

• pete61

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2009

I was at Otres mid Nov and loved it. No need for electricity after 10. We stayed at La Casa which was fine.Basic but fine. $8-$10 with palm walled bungalows right on the beach and good food. Sun lounges on the beach.

Walk up and down the beach at night and try out each restaurant for each course and the cheapest of drinks.

Very quiet beach compared to all the others and not sleazy. I'd go back, it was great.

Pete

#13 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 18:34

• pete61

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2009

I was at Otres mid Nov and loved it. No need for electricity after 10. We stayed at La Casa which was fine.Basic but fine. $8-$10 with palm walled bungalows right on the beach and good food. Sun lounges on the beach.

Walk up and down the beach at night and try out each restaurant for each course and the cheapest of drinks.

Very quiet beach compared to all the others and not sleazy. I'd go back, it was great.

Pete

#14 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 18:35

• pete61

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2009

Pete

#15 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 18:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
BOKOR HILL STATION ... By Atreyung on 20 Feb 2012 4 2272 18 Mar 2012
Bokor hill station road complete! ... By think87 on 13 Nov 2011 1 2086 23 Nov 2011
Bokor Hill ... By niallgamble on 28 Aug 2012 6 1927 3 Sep 2012