Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Svey Rieng - Toss out your Lonely Planet guide

• allen_moret-
    sky

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

My first trip to Cambodia I had no guide and so hitch-hiking around the country I stayed with Cham people on the coast in their homes and never ever saw another tourist. This time I had a Travel Guide and ended up in Sihanoukville where I counted no less then 20 beach verndors per hour trying to sell me various items. It was not until I decided to go to Svey Rieng which Lonely Travel pans, that I got a fresh breath of Cambodia. Not that this place is heaven, but it is not so touristed as seems the rest of Cambodia or at least the Lonely Planet Cambodia.

We packed up and went to the Olympic Market in Phenom Phen and sure enough, the vans to Svay Rieng were there. I’m sure we got screwed on the price as there was a lot of haggling and one of the drivers wouldn’t let the other vans take us and so there was a bit of collusion. I bargained from $5 to $3.50 each. Yesterday they quoted us $3.25. We took the front 2 seats and so had a nice 3 hour ride which included a ferry crossing.
    All the low end lodging houses were together so it was easy to compapre. I returned for Richel and rented a horse and cart to take us and our bags the 1 KM. We took a room for $3. Has bath and 2 beds and 2 windows and door out to the balcony. I like this town. Nice and quiet.

There is a riverbed and the town had the good sense to make a walkway along the riverbank and wall in the river. I had a coconut at the only stand open during the day there for 1500R. I ate it under a flowering shade tree and sat and looked at the river. Very peaceful and very little traffic in this town. I walked to the end of the road and met a young American working in the Peace Corps. She told me about the internet here and that at night one can eat at the river at one of 3 or 4 places that open up there. Too bad Lonely Planet pans this place. What a great stop and only 40 KM from the border. There is a decent book store, a couple of internet cafés that I saw and lots of nice people who are probably less likely to rip off a tourist then at the places visited by people who have Lonely Planet guide books. I came back to the room after my coconut to my $3 room with bath and took a nap. When we got up we walked down the street where I had 5 spring rolls in someone’s front yard for 1200Riel. Then we walked to the market where we bought some mango, Chinese apple and baguette. We walked to the river before returning to our room where we both had rice soup with chicken and tea for 3000Riel each. Nice to eat at the river and now as it approaches bedtime we are safely in our room eating one of the best mangos I ever tasted.

#1 Posted: 8/3/2008 - 10:23

• Advertisement

• kristinholdo

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2007

Usually if lonely planet says a place is worth visiting, and has little tourists -- you will find the exact oposite when you get there.. its places like that all tourists want to go to...

also remember that the time from the guide books are written, until it is for sale in the stores are quite long.. and a lot of the information will be outdated, and in many cases wrong - and someone might not have the newest edition..

Especially in Siem reap things are happening so fast, new places open day by day, places changes owners and some places closes down.

New entrance fees are introduced, and prices are going up.

Make sure you check with the locals that the information you are loocking at is correct.

Check with your hotel/guesthouse for the most updated information...

#2 Posted: 9/3/2008 - 15:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel Guide: Lonely Planet or Rough Guide? ... By carlakoopman on 23 Feb 2007 37 29153 31 Jul 2014
AVOIDING TOURISTS & LONELY PLANET GUIDE SUGGESTIONS ... By VictoriaT on 28 Jun 2012 79 8720 20 Jul 2012
BBC buys Lonely Planet ... By somtam2000 on 1 Oct 2007 8 5087 20 Mar 2013
Travelling the Nam Ou - Lonely Planet is again wrong! ... By brucemoon on 27 Apr 2009 18 8320 27 Aug 2009
CHeap Lonely Planet Books ... By Gerry on 22 May 2008 2 4044 1 Mar 2010
lonely planet vietnam and cambodia ... By aldoscriba on 12 Oct 2012 5 2092 14 Oct 2012
Lonely Planet does not endorse Travelfish ... By somtam2000 on 19 Mar 2009 16 13602 4 May 2009
Rough Giude vs. Lonely Planet ... By chopin on 9 Dec 2009 3 5768 11 Dec 2009
The future of Lonely Planet & Rough Guides? ... By Este on 12 Feb 2010 4 6957 13 Feb 2010
Lonely Planet Vietnam 9th edition reviewed ... By somtam2000 on 1 Aug 2007 2 6779 3 Aug 2007