Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Motorcycle licence - Phnom Penh

• rayc101

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 5

I have a few days in Phnom Penh, and would like to take my life in my hands by hiring a motorcycle. I have visited Phnom Penh previously, and understand the life-changing driving conditions.

In particular I need to understand if foreigners are permitted to hire, what licence is required, the cost and time delay, and of course where to obtain a moto licence.
    Cheers
    Rayc101

#1 Posted: 5/4/2008 - 04:51

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Umm I'm not sure -- I lived there for a couple of years and rode a bike regularly - never bothered to get a license!

#2 Posted: 6/4/2008 - 12:20

• rayc101

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2006

Thanks Somtam2000

That just about sums it up.

I'll probably be OK if I make only RH turns.

Cheers
    Rayc

#3 Posted: 6/4/2008 - 14:33

• princessdis-
    aster

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2006

Don't know about PP but in Kampot the guy at the motorbike hire shop tought us how to the ride 250cc dirtbikes in the main street then sent us on our merry way into Cambodian New Year Traffic.

I have ridden motorbikes before but not since i was a wee little princess on my cousins farm and the guy I was travelling with hadn't even been a passanger on the back of a bike till this trip.

In Kampot it was either $6 or $12 a day for the dirtbikes 24hrs and the motos were less either $3 or $6 - sorry can't really remember.

#4 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 07:56

• rayc101

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2006

Thanks Princess

Did you obtain a licence, or just hand over the cash and ride off into the sunset.

If they hold your passport (as they do in Thailand), I hope they'll return it to me at the hospital.

Cheers
    rayc

#5 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 10:42

• princessdis-
    aster

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2006

Hi rayc,

handed over the cash and rode off into the sunset.

Princess

#6 Posted: 28/4/2008 - 09:37

• bhaulley

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

I have rented motorbikes five times in Cambodia with no trouble....until yesterday. I rented a bike from Lucky Lucky, it was stolen, and I had to pay $800 for a really old bike worth $500, to get my passport. What I learned: don't rent an old bike, because they're really easy to steal. The chain and padlock they gave me didn't deter the thieves, even though it was firmly on the front wheel, parked in front of a nice Western restaurant on the riverfront. I won't rent from Lucky Lucky, anymore, either.

#7 Posted: 15/5/2008 - 17:55

• rayc101

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2006

Hi bhaulley

Sorry to hear about the nlcked bike. It'll probably find its way back to Lucky's...they'll rent it out to the next person...it'll get nicked again, and the cycle go on. That old bike is a nice little earner.

$500 goes a long way in Phnom Penh, and yours is probably already in the pocket of some bar owner in Toul Kork.

None-the-less, I hope you enjoy the rest of you trip, and I'm certainly looking forward to mine.

Chork dee
    Rayc

#8 Posted: 16/5/2008 - 13:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
motorcycle rental in phnom penh ... By jonkup on 17 May 2014 1 369 18 May 2014
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 1112 2 Mar 2014