Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

help please - best way to travel from thailand into cambodia

• harajuku4me-
    _pls

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2008

hi guys - i'm visiting southeast asia soon and i'm trying to get my head round things.

i'm wondering whats the best way to travel from thailand into cambodia, stopping first at angkor wat, and then south to phnom penh? is there a rail service? or a bus route? is it safe?

also - is there a safe and convenient overland route to ho chi minh city from phnom penh?

thank you so much!

#1 Posted: 22/4/2008 - 06:22

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

From Thailand to Siem Reap (Angkor), you can take a bus or train from Bangkok (or elsewhere) to the border at Aranyaprathet. You cross from Aran to Poipet on the Cambodian side and then take a bus or taxi to Siem Reap. Easy and definitely safe, although some annoyances exist in Poipet. For details, see http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-overland-bkksr.htm

From Siem Reap to Phnom Penh, you can take a comfortable or not-so-comfortable bus, depending on how much you want to pay.

#2 Posted: 22/4/2008 - 13:31

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

and from PP to HCM is equally easy, just take a bus. I don't know the state of the road for this route but when I travelled it a few years back it was awful, that may be the only problem you encounter. It is safe and convenient. I am pretty sure there is a river service also, I just haven't taken it. Someone may be along soon to give details of that.

#3 Posted: 22/4/2008 - 19:38

• harajuku4me-
    _pls

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2008

thanks so much for the info and links guys. thats a great help!

if anyone could shed more light on road conditions from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh city it would be great!

thanks again!

#4 Posted: 22/4/2008 - 20:24

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The road is sealed the entire way.

#5 Posted: 23/4/2008 - 08:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.