Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

phnom penh: dangerous??

• harajuku4me-
    _pls

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2008

hey - i'm doing research into a possible southeast-asia trip, and this forum has been very helpful. however one thing i've read at other places but not necessarily here is that Phnom Penh is very dangerous. muggings and violent crime are apparently very common. is this true?

thanks

#1 Posted: 28/4/2008 - 03:26

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

No, it's not true -- at least not for tourists -- "snatch and grabs" and pickpocketing are far more problematic.

My wife was robbed twice when we lived in Phnom Penh -- on both occasions the crimes were snatch and grabs (once snatching a handbag off her lap (containing both our passports...arrrgghhh), and the other trying to grab her wallet out of her hand as she walked down the street). On both occasions the thief was on a motorcycle.

As far as violent crime is concerned, Phnom Penh has more than it's fair share, but this is by and large crime involving the local population only.

Like any big city, you need to be careful and use your common sense -- stay in control, don't walk down unlit streets late at night alone...

#2 Posted: 28/4/2008 - 07:31

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

I have seen guns in Phnom Penh, but no violence. There really isn't any more danger than any other metropolis. At night be careful, take motorcycles if you are moving around the non-touristy main streets. Don't go down dark alleys. Just exercise the same caution as if you are in London or New York.

#3 Posted: 30/4/2008 - 10:34

• mrdome

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

Dangerous is relative, isn't it? Are you female or male? Are you streetsmart? Do you carry flashy jewelry or techtoys around?
    PP is the capital of a very poor country with a violent past. That said, I was there last month and walked around at night and never felt unsafe. In the end, if your karma ripens it just does but you don't even need to travel to SE Asia for that to happen.

#4 Posted: 3/5/2008 - 20:22

• Jacster

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2006

I've been in PP for the last 2 months. I've never felt threatened (lone female). I take precautions - if you can call them that - I wear my messenger bag across my body, take motos or tuk tuks at night. I actually don't feel like I'm being more careful than I am in other big cities.
    You'll love it here.

#5 Posted: 5/5/2008 - 19:55

• harajuku4me-
    _pls

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2008

thanks so much guys for all the info - i really appreciate it and i feel much more confident about the city.

i've been to other asian cities such as Shanghai, Xi'an, Tokyo, Guilin etc and i guess i was just trying to guage how it stacks up in relation to those places. in China i never once felt threatened, but i guess it would be wise to take extra precautions in a poor country such as cambodia...

#6 Posted: 6/5/2008 - 04:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 961 2 Mar 2014