Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Anyone travelled in rainy season??

Posted by nikkip on 29/4/2008 at 00:53

Hi all,

I really want to go to Cambodia, but unfotunatly the only time i have available to travel is July and August. I have read a number of mixed reports and each one has given me different advice about whether it is worth visiting the country then and how disruptive the rain can be. I would really really appreciate anyones advice whos had any experience of travelling in cambodia in the monsoon season.

thanks everyone!

#1 nikkip has been a member since 28/4/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by alex16103 on 29/4/2008 at 23:23

Don't let this put you off! I was in Cambodia for 2 weeks in August and was worried about the rain but it's nothing major. I found that it would rain for a couple of hours in the afternoon sometimes - maybe a couple of times a week. Not like here in England where it can rain constantly for days!
Also it will be hot and humid so sometimes you might prefer a bit of rain!

I didn't notice any disruption, only that because you'll be visiting at the start of the rainy season you won't be able to travel by boat, but it's not a problem as buses are the main form of transport.

Hope this helps!
Alex

#2 alex16103 has been a member since 23/5/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 8

Posted by nikkip on 30/4/2008 at 01:22

thanks alex - that's really hhelpful!

#3 nikkip has been a member since 28/4/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by goo_stewart on 30/4/2008 at 10:31

I have cycled in the rainy season in Cambodia, and I will be again this July and August. The rain ain't so bad, but the roads get crappy if they are not sealed. The rain cools the temperature a little and is refershing. My advice, just don't go where the roads aren't sealed and you will be fine.

#4 goo_stewart has been a member since 10/10/2007. Posts: 69
 Website 

Posted by TheBarang on 9/5/2008 at 06:04

Was in Cambodia during rainy season. Actually was a great deal of fun - there's nothing like a nice afternoon downpour after a scorching hot day. It only rained about every third day, and for 30-60 minutes. The rain brings out some fantastic colors in the vegetation and architecture.

#5 TheBarang has been a member since 4/4/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by nikkip on 9/5/2008 at 15:13

thanks for all the advice everyone... you've all persuaded me to go! Its really useful hearing it from someone whos experienced it first hand.

#6 nikkip has been a member since 28/4/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by goo_stewart on 20/5/2008 at 20:15

Cycled it a few times in those months without any problems. The rain doesn't usually last all day. You will enjoy it even with the rain.

#7 goo_stewart has been a member since 10/10/2007. Posts: 69
 Website 

Posted by Mamabelle on 6/6/2008 at 22:01

We have just come back. It rained most afternoons. We loved the rain. Cooled everything down for a few hours.

#8 Mamabelle has been a member since 6/6/2008. Posts: 7

Posted by dixonstreet on 7/6/2008 at 14:25

yes we are there now a little rain in the afternoons but nothing serious

#9 dixonstreet has been a member since 7/6/2008. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.