Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Bangkok-->Siem Reap

• michmich11

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008

Getting from BKK to Siem Reap: Would it make more sense to 1. Overland to Aranyaprathet to Poipet to Siem Reap (as per travelfish artcile http://www.travelfish.org/feature/71)
    or 2. Fly BKK to Phomn Penh on Air Asia then bus (or taxi?) to Siem Reap?

How long would each option take? How much would each cost? Thanks!

#1 Posted: 13/5/2008 - 09:47

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Overland, it's gonna take one long day of travelling, but it's not that bad. Taking the bus from BKK to Aran and from Poipet to SR, you can do it for less than $20 altogether.

I think it's kind of a waste to fly such short distances, and taking into accout the time spent waiting at the airport etc., it's not even that much faster.

#2 Posted: 13/5/2008 - 12:20

• packtoofull

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2007
    Location Indonesia

From your other post it sounded like you were going to be discovery passing your trip - if that's the case I'd fly it, but otherwise I'd go overland via Poipet. WOuldn't recommend going via Phnom Penh - will cost more and take longer.

#3 Posted: 13/5/2008 - 14:05

• goo_stewart

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2007

Definitely take longer via Phnom Penh. With flight it would make it very expensive as well.

#4 Posted: 20/5/2008 - 20:16

• leilabordoy-
    mendoza

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2008

Hello Everyone,pls help me! I will be in Bangkok MANILA-BANGKOK
    Saturday, Jul 5, 2008
    Depart 9:20 PM Arrive 11:35 PM. I want to go to Cambodia, Siem Reap and Angkor Wat. I want to travel from Bangkok Airport by Bus because i want to do sightseeing , i heard there is A government Bus, i would like to ride that.And Then stay there for one day and oen night.Then be back in Bangkok then my departure is 5J 932
    BANGKOK-MANILA
    Wednesday, Jul 9, 2008
    Depart 12:05 AM Arrive 4:20 AM«»

Thank you.

#5 Posted: 24/5/2008 - 03:23

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

AFAIK there are no buses from Bangkok Airport to SR, never mind at that time of night!!!

You'll have to hang around for a few hours and get a bus around dawn from the Northern Bus Terminal at Mochit.

#6 Posted: 24/5/2008 - 14:59

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Also you won't get back in time from SR to catch your flight out of BKK.

#7 Posted: 24/5/2008 - 15:00

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

In other words, with that little time your only option would be to fly to SR and back IMO.

#8 Posted: 24/5/2008 - 15:06

• leilabordoy-
    mendoza

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2008

Thanks, i need more info, from Mochit how long does it take going to Siem Reap?
    Thank you

#9 Posted: 24/5/2008 - 20:58

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

The best part of a day. You should get there mid afternoon if you don't have too much hassle at the Poipet border crossing. If you go with an organized tour it'll most likely be more like midnight before you arrive.

#10 Posted: 24/5/2008 - 21:08

• Advertisement

• leilabordoy-
    mendoza

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2008

I will travel alone, i am from Philippines. I do not mind if it takes 8 hours to get to Siem Reap from mochit.How much does it cost by the way if it is an aircondition bus, or how about the regular bus? I do need a visa and i do not bring too much when i travel, i usually have one backpack,I want to see angkor wat.I will arrive to the AIRPORT at 11:35 pm, then i will stay in the airport to check the duty free shops and go to Northern Bus Terrminal at around 3:30 am,will that be ok? My Departure is Wednesday, Jul 9, 2008
    Depart 12:05 AM Arrive 4:20 AM
    I think i will just stay one day in Siem Reap one day.Thanks

#11 Posted: 24/5/2008 - 23:12

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I haven't ever gone straight from the airport to Mochit but I'd guess that if you take a taxi from the airport at 3.30am you'll have loads of time. Traffic around BKK is very light at that time of day.

Take a look at this site for detailed information on the overland journey from BKK to SR. http://talesofasia.com/cambodia-overland.htm
    Packtoofull said there's info about going overland to SR on this site too (Just had a quick look and I couldn't see it but I'm sure it's there somewhere, so do a search!)

If I were you I'd try and get a visa beforehand... you'll get through the border crossing quicker and less risk of getting ripped off by border guards. Also might be an idea to try and hook up with other travellers on the bus from Mochit to the border so that you can share a taxi to SR once you're in Cambodia.

Good luck, I just hope this trip won't be too exhausting for you!

#12 Posted: 24/5/2008 - 23:35

• Marney_47

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2008

Hi, im looking at getting from SR to Bangkok in a day... So just to clarify would the best way for my group of 3? I assume to get a taxi to Poipet, and then once crossed the boarder whats the best way to get to bangkok from Aran? Train, bus or Taxi???

Tar very much

#13 Posted: 5/6/2008 - 14:17

• Mamabelle

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2008

It is a long dayof travel. We left Bangkok by bus at 5.30am....arrived at SR in the evening. It was heavy rain so it took us about 6 hours from the boarder (that was with a lunch stop and an extra toilet stop), Was three hours getting through the boarder (there were lots of kids to fill in forms for)...would definately recommend an e-visa,Must be careful not to be scammed....there are lots there trying to scam you.

We caught the bus to the boarder and the train back. Would definately prefer to travel by train. Took about 6 hrs.

We paid $100 to be met at the boarder with a van and driver. There were 8 of us. We also used the same driver to take us back to teh boarder.

#14 Posted: 6/6/2008 - 21:54

• Yun

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2007

michmich

personally i stayed overnight in bkk airport (after arriving in), then caught a 9am flight to pp, then taxi directly to sr arriving around 330pm. i think overland would have taken about the same time and is cheaper.

if it still applies to you, then here's a few things to think about.

- don't fly if you aren't already at the airport. that is if you're already in bkk city, just take the train to the poipet to cross over rather than going to the airport just to fly.
    - if you are in the airport (as in you've just arrived from another country), then you could consider making a transfer to fly to siem reap by local airline (about $150 one way i think), or phnom penh if you already taking thai airlines (which adds on about $200 return)

- if you are going to phnom penh then it makes sense to fly one way from pp to bkk (or bkk to pp), otherwise it's a 12 hour trip by land which is not worth the time.
    - if you are NOT going to pp, then flying in & out of pp is a waste of time, as it is a 5 hour taxi for $65 each way

in sr i recommend contacting and staying at two dragons (details are on travelfish). they organised a taxi that picked us up directly from pp airport & took us straight to their door. apparently they can also organise trips for you from bkk or poipet.

#15 Posted: 19/7/2008 - 15:58

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth

Too late for the original poster, I suppose, but just to be clear, there are also direct buses from the airport transportation center to Aran (or to the Rong Kleua (sp?) border market in fact, so it's even more convenient). There's one at 8:00 and another one sometime in the afternoon.

#16 Posted: 19/7/2008 - 16:34

• Layabout

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2008

Lother

Just read your posting about buses direct to Aran. Is transportation center easy to find and are these buses marked any different from others I read on another site that they were yellow? Any idea what the cost of trip is?

#17 Posted: 21/7/2008 - 19:58

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth

There's a free shuttle bus to the transportation center from the airport, so it's easy enough. I'm not sure what color the bus was. In any case, looking at the website, it should be bus number 390, Suvarnabhumi Airport - Talad Rong Kluea. The cost was between 200-300 baht.

#18 Posted: 21/7/2008 - 20:20

• Layabout

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2008

Thanks for the instant reply I'm just finalizing trip and you have made it a lot easier. What website did you look at to find bus number Thanks again

#19 Posted: 21/7/2008 - 20:34

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/

#20 Posted: 21/7/2008 - 21:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Trip advice - Bangkok - Siem Reap - Ko Mak - Bangkok ... By JessandScott on 13 Jan 2009 13 5145 28 Jun 2010