Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

ATM's dispense what currency, $ or riel?

• jourdin

Joined Travelfish
    29th May, 2008

I have seen conflicting stories about what ATM's dispense, riel and/or US dollars.

What's the true story? Do some machines dispense two different currencies? How does one know what currency a machine dispenses?

#1 Posted: 29/5/2008 - 15:03

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi jourdin,

unlike thailand or laos or vietnam, which dispense local currency from their ATMs, you'll find that the international ATMs in cambodia do dispense US dollars, which is the general preferred currency for all but the smallest purchases in cambodia. there are also ATMs which dispense riel, but i'm pretty sure you have to have a local, riel-denominated account for that. so, in cambodia, particularly at the ANZ ATMs, expect to get dollars. elsewhere in southeast asia, you can expect to get local currency. hope that helps. cheers.

#2 Posted: 30/5/2008 - 09:17

• loumoscrop

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

Does anyone know if they charge you to take money out. I am British with a Nationwide Visa Card

#3 Posted: 5/6/2008 - 13:52

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

sorry, can't necessarily help you with that info since i was withdrawing money from a US dollar-denominated account in the states. i do remember that there was no additional charge for those withdrawals - it was exactly the same number of dollars i withdrew. i'd expect that you'll have some sort of a currency exchange charge on your nationwide card, since you'll be exchanging pounds for dollars. perhaps you can call nationwide and find out what their policy and rates/fees are. regards.

#4 Posted: 6/6/2008 - 07:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
ATM's dispense what currency, $ or kip? ... By jourdin on 29 May 2008 2 2314 30 May 2008
ATM's dispense what currency, $ or dong? ... By jourdin on 29 May 2008 2 1899 7 Jun 2008