Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

going to Siem Reap this September with my baby... need help!

• prettytrish-
    a07

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2008

Hi! Im from Philippines. And yes, im very facinated about SE Asia. I've been to Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Laos. And of course, different places here in the Philippines. So maybe, I can help you if you need one. And I can say, yes I love my country and SE Asia!

For the meantime, I need your help. Im going to Vietnam this September with my husband and baby daughter (10 months old that time). And since we we're already there, I suggested to my husband that we visit Cambodia. And so, we're planning to do a one day visit to Siem Reap to see Angkor Wat. Thinking of flying there instead of riding a bus cuz we have limited time and we have our baby with us.

Hope you can help us to make our one day travel worth remembering.

The first hotel that I searched online was Allson Angkor Hotel and thier rate starts at $60. Then I came to this website and was facinated by your advises on where to stay and where to go.

Can you give us advise on where to stay? A baby friendly hotel and not so expensive. So we can save money to bring back "pasalubong" to our family and friends back in Manila.

I've been wanting to go to Cambodia but I read and heard lots of scary stories about them that sad to say, im still thinking as of this time.

And a reputable people/persons that can give us a tour on Angkor Wat? English speaking of course. If they know Tagalog, it will be better! :-)

Where's the best place to dine out in Siem Reap (pls no exotic food - I already had my share in Laos!) And whats worth taking back to the Philippines? (I really like Beer Lao and Laos coffee, I bring it back home)

Thank you in advance. Everything will be appreciated!

#1 Posted: 15/6/2008 - 12:57

• Advertisement

• larilari

Joined Travelfish
    20th June, 2008

Hi

Been to Siem Reap twice ... I suggest you do some reading up on www.talesofasia.com, www.andybrouwer.co.uk (see Cambodia blogspot), and www.canbypublications - these will answer most, if not all the questions you have.

Personally, you dont really need a hotel costing US$60 ... very decent hotels can be had for US$25. Personally recommend Two Dragons and www.Yaklom.com (tho these two are not smack in the midst of the "action" if you want Pub Street for the colour and activity) or Molly Malones if you want to be in the thick of things to do have a wider choice in shopping/eating etc.

Please dont get ripped off by tuk-tuk drivers and guides, tho most of them do work hard to earn their keep. There are a few bad apples - just a caution as you're going to have only one day. I think www.andybrouwer.co.uk has recommended one guide named Kim Rieng, whom whose services we've used and found him to be very knowledgeable and pleasant, email kimrieng@yahoo.com.

Oh, another website with a wealth of info www.canbypublications.com - some invaluable tips there too!

Happy Holidays!

#2 Posted: 20/6/2008 - 23:43

• lennybruce

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2008
    Location Netherlands

Great that you are going to Siem Reap even if it is for a day. I don't know what kind of scary stories you have been hearing but I fell in love with the people. So much so that I now spend some of my time from where I live raising money and helping some people out there.

Canbypublications.com has great info and I personally found the downloadable guide here from Travelfish to be very handy.

I have recently made a site with lots of links to good info that helped me. The site I also made to try and help out the great guy who was my tuk tuk driver when I was there. After six days together I became close to him and his family, even spending some time hanging out and sharing meals in his very very humble but friendly and open home. Check it out if you want: www.angkortuktuk.org.

This guy is a tuk tuk driver, which is not a guide. The drivers can't accompany you inside the temples unless they also happen to be licensed guide.

Have a great great time!

#3 Posted: 6/7/2008 - 23:26

• prettytrish-
    a07

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2008

thanks for the recommendations. We will now stay for 2 days in Siem Reap.

#4 Posted: 7/7/2008 - 11:04

• prettytrish-
    a07

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2008

Hi! any recommendation on cheap flights from Saigon to Siem reap? We really preffered travelling by air since we have limited time, we have our daughter with us and I'll be four months pregnant by that time.

I read about Vietnam Pacific Airways but can't find thier website.

Thanks,
    trisha

#5 Posted: 7/7/2008 - 13:20

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Vietnam Pacific Airways is now Jetstar Vietnam.

#6 Posted: 7/7/2008 - 15:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
September 2010 HCM -> Siem Reap ... By kimberleyr17 on 1 Jun 2010 4 2143 19 Jul 2010
Siem Reap and some days at a beach in September (yes, I know..) ... By tavso9 on 24 Aug 2013 3 2286 30 Aug 2013