Cambodia forum

Tell me about Kep

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I've got a pretty high tolerance for not much to do so Kep is sounding pretty good for a few days in Nov.

I thought a pool with a couple of trips to Rabbit Island sounded cool.

Any input about accom with a pool? The most elusive after net searching is N4 guesthouse, anyone stayed there?

Kep Lodge sounds OK too, and the Beach House is reputedly the best, but then again maybe not!

BTW, the back page of my LP Cambodia guide is perfectly clear that the guide contains 'opinionated reviews' - what's that all about?

Any words of wisdom appreciated.

#1 Posted: 29/6/2008 - 16:55

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi fondo,

Yup, Kep could be right up your alley.

Beach House has a pool, it's a little on the small side, but pretty deep and within ordering distance of the bar. Seems by their website Kep Lodge have finished their pool -- it wasn't done last time we passed by, but going on the pics it looks pretty good!

While it doesn't have a pool, we've just added a review of a new, just-opened place, Bottanica Kep, which our researcher was very impressed with. You can read her review here.

The only other spot with a pool I can think of is Knai Bang Chatt, but it's far from a budget joint... pool is lovely though!

Never heard of N4!

One more thing, if you're in Kep, try to make the time to head out to the pepper farms -- that stuff is amazing and I'd head back just to restock...

#2 Posted: 2/7/2008 - 07:10

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Thanks somtam

Oh well, I obviously won't be overrun by travelfishers!

#3 Posted: 3/7/2008 - 17:16

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Too true -- part of the appeal of Kep is you'll rarely be overrun by anyone outside of weekends when Phnom Penhers head down there.

#4 Posted: 3/7/2008 - 21:35

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 98

So, guess what? The N4 guesthouse is one of the largest joints in Kep . On the road up to Vanna and the Veranda. It also looks to be one of the oldest. The swimming pool is small and deep enough for the Cambodian diving team to train in but it's 'broken'(!).

I stayed at a very new joint called Malibu Estates. Pool, nice room $35, AC rooms $50. Complete with aristocratic English-speaking owner and yappy lap dog. This is the price range that Kep appears to be heading for.

IMHO Rabbit Island and the caves at Kampong Trach are firmly in the SEA overrated attractions category.

Dinner at Le Flamboyant 'Restaurant Ecologique' was a standout. He also has a really nice villa for $50.

Veranda is a pretty groovy stop to shed a bit more money and watch a massive sunset.

Botanica's global menu is a joke - pepper steak is Peruvian apparently - and the range of Belgian beers was in 'no have' territory - but the fries were excellent!

Pepper is the standout souvenir, crab market restaurants are so-so.

#5 Posted: 4/12/2008 - 09:40

• Ruthyp

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2008

Ditto about the caves, the elephant, bat and rice field caves were not worth stopping off on route to Kep for!

I preferred Bamboo Island nearer Sihanoukville to Rabbit Island, but then admittedly I didn't explore beyond the beach.

The pepper is good stuff!

#6 Posted: 5/12/2008 - 02:22

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm down to the last bag of what started as two kilos of Kampot pepper... agree -- great stuff.

Fondo, you didn't like Rabbit Island? It's a pretty relaxed kinda hideaway -- not to your liking?

#7 Posted: 5/12/2008 - 07:45

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Nah, should have stayed by the pool!

#8 Posted: 5/12/2008 - 08:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.