Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

no more e-visas????

• Window_seat

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2008

I purchased a Cambodian e-visa a couple weeks ago. Plan to enter Cambodia on Sunday.

I just received an email from 'e-Visa' stating that "On the 28th of June 2008, the official Cambodia e-Visa website was removed without any prior notice and reasons given."

As far as I can tell, the evisa website is indeed gone.

Has anyone tried to enter Cambodia with an e-Visa in the last few days?

I'm hoping the worst case scenario is that I'll just have to buy another visa at the border....

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 2/7/2008 - 20:13

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Perhaps they just changed the website address? It seems to be working on this site.
    http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/e-visa/start.aspx

I asked about it on another forum and someone living there says there's been nothing in the local press about it.

If you've already purchased your visa then you should be OK I'd have thought.

#2 Posted: 3/7/2008 - 14:35

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As per SBE, the "new" official site is here:
    http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/e-visa/start.aspx, though you'll note a link to the old site (www.cambodiaevisa.com) at the bottom of the page that has a couple of hundred complaints about what is going on.

Originally the Khmer govt had outsourced this service to a Malayisan firm (who Travelfish used to work with, but no longer does). It looks like they've decided to take the service back in house -- much to the dismay of the Malay company -- and to the distress of visa-holders.

The new official contact address is: cambodia.visa@gmail.com -- though why the govt would use a gmail address rather than an official one beats me.

I've no idea why this has happened. The Cambodiaevisa.com team were repeated spammers on this messageboard and they were frequent spammers on Thorntree as well, so perhaps the Cambodian govt didn't like the way they did business. More likely though is the government wanted to reign inhouse what had become a nice little cash cow.

For now, until things settle down, I'd suggest getting visa on arrival rather than using either eVisa system.

#3 Posted: 4/7/2008 - 12:42

• cmarian

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2008

has anyone applied for an e-visa using the new website yet? and then successfully used the visa they received from it upon entering cambodia?

just wondering as i'll be heading there at the end of the month and am not sure whether to try it or just go with visa upon arrival, long lines and all.

thanks!

#4 Posted: 12/7/2008 - 10:10

• packtoofull

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2007
    Location Indonesia

MFA have released new dtls for support:
    email contact for all support questions: help@mfaic.gov.kh

URL to reclaim visas: http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/e-visa/reclaim.aspx

We'd continue to suggest that for the moment, until the situation clears fully, to get a visa on arrival.

#5 Posted: 12/7/2008 - 11:16

• cmarian

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2008

i just tried it online so i'll be sure to post the results of my experience. entering all the information and uploading my photo went smoothly. i paid via paypal and it said "approved" so i will see whether i get an email in a few days with a link to where i can download the visa. for now it just says "pending" on my application.

prior to payment there's a "notice" page that reads as follows:
    NOTICE
    Dear all valued travelers,
    As part of our continuous effort to increase our level of service and security, our Cambodia e-Visa site has recently undergone an upgrade process. However, we would like to inform you that our government Official in-charge of the Cambodia e-Visa operation currently rectifying the problem in order to ease the operation to the normal operational function. Our upgrade process will last for 1 to 2 weeks. We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused by this upgrade.
    1. If you are having doubts about the validity of your current e-Visa please proceed to evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/e-visa/reclaim.aspx to verify your e-Visa
    2. If have problems downloading your previously approved e-Visa please contact us via e-mail at help@mfaic.gov.kh or you may proceed to evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/e-visa/reclaim.aspx to verify your e-Visa
    3. Or if you have any other enquiry, please contact us via e-mail at help@mfaic.gov.kh or call any of our friendly e-Visa officers:
    Mr. Som Visal +85512391243
    Ms. Leakhena +85517454503
    Mr. Uch Borom +85512558012
    e-Visa Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affair and
    International Cooperation Tel: +85523224973 Fax: +85523224972

Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you to our country.

e-Visa Administrator
    Kingdom of Cambodia

#6 Posted: 12/7/2008 - 11:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.