Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

late 20s females, need 1 more place for itinerary

• femaletrave-
    ler

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2008

My cousin from London and I, from San Francisco are leaving for Cambodia next Thursday (Expect to arrive 17th). I am traveling for a total of 17 days but intend to only dedicate 10 days in Cambodia. We know we want to visit SR and PP. Haven't decided exactly how many days at each place. I do love history but can foresee getting templed-out after one too many days.

Looking for one more place and would love to hear your-must-not-miss city.

We're both from the city so would like a place with a bit of night life. We are past the partying stage so just some nice town with fellow travellers. Any suggestions and input on our itinerary would be much appreciated.

Here's the way we plan to get into/out of Cambodia:

Arrive in Hong Kong (visiting family)
    Fly into Bangkok
    Bus from BKK to PP
    PP to SR (or whatever town suggested)
    Back to PP to BKK?

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 12/7/2008 - 13:57

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Bus from BKK to PP
    PP to SR
    Back to PP to BKK

Err have you looked at a map of Thailand and Cambodia? You'll probably be going from BKK to PP via Sihanoukville if you take that route but I wouldn't go back that way as well myself.

#2 Posted: 13/7/2008 - 04:33

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Here's some more info for you. http://talesofasia.com/cambodia-overland-bkkpp.htm

It's a bit dated but the distances are the same.

#3 Posted: 13/7/2008 - 04:41

• femaletrave-
    ler

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2008

Hi SBE. Thank you so much for the info. Can I say that after I read the updated reports on the overland section from Tales of Asia, I am now terrified I won't know what the heck I'm doing and will get dropped off at places I don't want to be dropped off and taken to places I don't intend to go! Part of my fear probably stems from the fact that my cousin just told me today that she most likely won't be able to accompany me on this trip after all.

I have read some blogs from single female travelers and all has indicated it is safe provided one follow basic commonsense rules. Hope so.

You did not mention a place you feel I should really visit aside from SR and PP. Any thoughts. Thank you once again.

#4 Posted: 13/7/2008 - 09:25

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

The "nightlife" requirement only really leaves you with Sihanoukville :), but then that depends on what you mean by nightlife. But if we forget that requirement altogether, Kompong Chhnang is a lovely little town with a great floating village and beautiful countryside, as well as very friendly people. Kampong Cham is another good, perhaps easier, choice to have a look at somewhat more typical Cambodia than what PP and SR offer. Two nights at either place would be enough to get a different perspective on the country.

Apart from the Kampongs, Kampot in the south is also very nice, and Sihanoukville, the option with something of a nightlife as mentioned, is an alright beach destination as well, although definitely a major tourist spot.

#5 Posted: 13/7/2008 - 14:07

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Don't worry about travelling alone to Cambodia. Lots of women have done it ...including me ;-) Use common sense and do some research beforehand and you'll be fine.

#6 Posted: 14/7/2008 - 14:55

• femaletrave-
    ler

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2008

Thank you Lother for your suggestion. I am very interested in visiting Kompong Chhnang but how do I go about getting there?

Can you kindly (or anyone reading this) also check whether my itinerary seem fairly efficient and logical? Again, I've got 10 days.

BKK to SR (1 day)
    SR (4 days)
    SR to PP (2 days)
    PP to Kompong Chhnang (2 days)how do I get there and back?
    KC to PP
    PP bus to SR (1 day)

Thank you for all the indispensible advice given. Your generosity is greatly appreciated.

#7 Posted: 14/7/2008 - 19:07

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Buses from PP (Paramount Angkor Express amongst others) in the direction of Battambang go via Kompong Chhnang, so you can take a bus from Phnom Penh easily. Just make sure to ask the driver to stop in Kompong Chhnang, as it's pretty easy to miss otherwise :). There are also share taxis for $5/seat, but you'll probably want two seats if you take that option. The trip takes about 1.5-2.5 hours. I can heartily recommend Sokha Hotel (Listed as Sohka here) for a place to stay if you choose to go there.

To come back to PP, the share taxis (leaving from the Sokimex gas station in Chhnang) are easier, but you can also wait for the bus from Battambang to arrive. Instead of returning to PP though, I think it would make more sense to go from Chhnang to Battambang (again by bus or taxi) and from there either to SR or Thailand (via Poipet), depending on where you want to go.

#8 Posted: 15/7/2008 - 00:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.