Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Laos or Cambodia

• gromi1705

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2008

Want to travel to either country mid october for 3 weeks.
    As I do not want to rush and really get a good impression (mainly traveling for landscape and people)I am thinking of either doing Northern Laos or Cambodia (Siem Reap, Battanbang, Pnom Penh, Kratie and Kep, (Ratankiri?)).
    Any advices which country to choose?
    Suggested itineris welcome.
    I might have the chance to add 1 week for beach but Sihanoukville doesn't sound to inviting (prefer the quiet)

#1 Posted: 14/7/2008 - 15:10

• Advertisement

• smartso

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2008

If it was up to me I'd pick Northern Laos over Cambodia. By and large I found the scenery in Cambodia a little lack luster as it tends to be on the flatter side. Laos on the other hand is stunning, especially up north. I'd look into doing some treks out into one of the NPAs :)

#2 Posted: 15/7/2008 - 00:06

• gromi1705

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2008

Thanks for your reply! Sounds good for me :-) Would you give some comments on what should be on the itinerary in North Laos?

#3 Posted: 15/7/2008 - 01:10

• Dasu

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2008

Hi gromi1705. I agree with smartso. The landscape in Northern Laos is stunning and the people are much more layed back then Cambodia. I would start in Vientiene and take a bus north to VangVieng, another bus to Luang Prabang. Use these cities as your bases and venture out from them. It's hard to say how long in each place, it all depends on how much you like each one. From Luang Prabang take the two day slow boat up the Mekong River to Huay Xai. From there cross into Thailand and bus to Chiang Mai.

Although this route is fairly heavily travelled, there is a good reason for this, beatiful landscape, cheap travel and amazing people.

All the best in your travels

#4 Posted: 28/7/2008 - 09:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.